Approved LCA for a new job and working outside commuting distance of LCA Worksite

Hi,

I recently accepted a new job and got my H1-B transferred to the new employer. My visa transfer was approved on March 17th, 2020 and my joining date is April 6th, 2020. My new employer is located in Irvine, California, and my LCA was filed at that location. I'm currently in Princeton, New Jersey, and am a bit hesitant to travel back to Irvine, California due to the COVID-19 pandemic. I do live in Irvine. I have been for the past five and a half years, and I have all supporting documents to prove that I am a resident of Irvine, CA. I came to Princeton on 19th March, 2020 to visit my family, and couldn't go back due to the hostile travel conditions.

My question is, can I work remotely for my new employer from Princeton, NJ? Or would I be violating any laws because it is outside the general commuting distance from Irvine, CA? I was wondering if the rules have been relaxed considering the pandemic. I don't mind going back, but I just don't want to risk traveling during these times. Also, the US Government is advising against traveling out of NY/NJ area since those are the states with the highest number of COVID-19 cases.

I tried searching the Internet extensively for answers but couldn't find anything helpful. I'm posting here as a last resort. I'm hoping to find an answer on here. Thanks in advance!

--

Pranay

Edited by pranayk