Freelance jobs for non-US employer


Recommended Posts


I am currently on H1B visa. However, I am in the process of exploring alternate career options as I would like to move away from the kind of job I am doing right now. So, I am trying to take online courses and see if I can gain some experience in these other fields. I also came across certain freelance jobs offered by companies based in India and Singapore. I am interested in them primarily to gain experience in that field and not to make money. So, my question is: While I am on H1B, am I allowed to take up these freelance jobs if the employer is not in US? It looks like they pay in USD also, but since they are not based in US, they are not going to provide any tax forms. I just want to make sure if it is legal to explore this option before I get into that path.

Thank you!

Link to comment

You can NOT do such jobs. It doesn't matter where the company is located, it matters where you are located. If you are in the US on H1 you can ONLY work for the employer who filed your H1.

Also, you have to declare your worldwide income on your US tax returns.

Edited by JoeF
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.