Last name change on H4 visa

Hi,

I am in US on H1B with my wife on H4 visa. We got married in Jan 2019, however we would like change her last name with my name.  

She has valid H4 stamping with her original name  (before marriage) until Apr 2021 also passport is not expiring soon. 

My questions are: 

1. Can I change her name in Indian passport from US?

2. Does she have to go for H4 stamping again after getting fresh passport with name changed? or It can be done in US.

3. What if we do not apply H4 stamping after getting passport with name changed, will create any issue while travelling? 

Please advice.

Thank you!

Edited by SantoshD12345
On 9/2/2019 at 1:07 AM, SantoshD12345 said:

Hi,

I am in US on H1B with my wife on H4 visa. We got married in Jan 2019, however we would like change her last name with my name.  

She has valid H4 stamping with her original name  (before marriage) until Apr 2021 also passport is not expiring soon. 

My questions are: 

1. Can I change her name in Indian passport from US?

2. Does she have to go for H4 stamping again after getting fresh passport with name changed? or It can be done in US.

3. What if we do not apply H4 stamping after getting passport with name changed, will create any issue while travelling? 

Please advice.

Thank you!

1. Yes.

2. Once she goes out of country with new passport stamping is recommended as name will be different.

3. If you don't go out of country no need of stamping. Only if you travel you would need stamping.

My suggestion is if you have travel plans before Dec 2020 don't do name change. You can do after coming back from travel.

• 4 weeks later...