GC expires Oct 2019, interview on May 16, 2019 but application not approved yet

Recommended Posts

My GC expires Oct 20, 2019. I applied for citizenship on Dec 2, 2018 and had my interview on May 16, 2019.

The letter I received at the end of the interview says "You passed the English test and U.S History and Government test" and "A decision cannot be made about your application".

The officer told me the he could not see my daughters' birth certificates on the computer system and so, cannot approve me immediately but, I should hear back within 30 days. Even though I carried the originals with me, he didn't want to see it. It's been over 30 days and I haven't heard anything yet. I wrote to USCIS and they told me that (see below)

USCIS has 120 days from the date of the initial naturalization interview to issue a decision. If the decision is not issued within 120 days of the interview, an applicant may request judicial review of his or her application in district court. The officer must base his or her decision on the laws, regulations, precedent decisions, and governing policies.

The officer may:

Approve the application;

Continue the examination without making a decision (if more information is needed), if the applicant needs to be rescheduled, or for other relevant reasons; or

Deny the application.

Should I apply for Green Card renewal now? What if I don't apply for renewal and my citizenship gets rejected (worst case scenario)? How can I find out what is causing the delay? And if USCIS needs anything from my end.

Also, there was only one discrepancy between the form I filled out and what I answered. In the form for the Q about citations/tickets, I answered NO. The office asked if I have never been pulled over by a cop and I answered yes, one time because my inspections tags had expired one time. I can't even remember if I was given a warning or a ticket (this was many many years back). If it was a ticket, I am 100% sure I would have paid the amount/fine. I vaguely remember that it may have been a $40 ticket or something.





Link to comment

You do not have waste your money to apply for green card renewal (which takes about a year anyway). If your card expires before you naturalize and you need proof of permanent residency for something (e.g. travel abroad), you can go to your local USCIS office to get an I-551 stamp, which they will give you since you have a pending N-400.

Edited by newacct
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.