Jump to content
All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  

How to report 1099 Misc on H1B?

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

I have a question that is really befuddling me. Basically I'm a physician working in the US under H1B being sponsored by a private medical group. My tax forms are of course a W2 from that private group. Now the hospital where our group works at directly issued us a payment in 2018 (some bonus for saving the hospital money). So now I've received a 1099-Misc form from the hospital where they report the payment in box 7. Because of this, it is apparently treated as self employment/business income by the IRS. But under the rules of H1B, I'm not allowed to have this type of income. How should I handle this in my tax returns?

Thank you! 

Share this post

Link to post

They should have reported this in box 3. While filing your return electronically fill up details of this 1099-Misc with box 3 ticked. The Hospital made an error. No point wasting time over it. Just file and since the money given to you will be correct, there is no problem.

Share this post

Link to post
12 hours ago, Rjj said:

I know a TON of H1b visa holders who get 1099 and K1 income all the time. 

There are several different 1099s. 1099Misc are usually for work outside of employment. That's not allowed on H1. There are other 1099s for interest on investments, etc. That is allowed.

Share this post

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this