Recommended Posts


My wife received her SSN when she was on L-2 and had been using for quite long time.  So I mainly  use for Tax filing purpose & Applying for DL. Now currently she's in H-4 . When her passport expired, I renewed it with her name changed after marriage. got her passport renewed with the new name and even Visa stamped on it. To change her name in DL, I wanted to change her name in SSN as well. When I went to the local SSA office with the name change application & proof etc., the SSN officer says she can't have the SSN as her visa status does not apply and took back her card. We got a letter for denial of SSN which he said can be used for Driver's License. 

I couldn't find any post on the internet related to this incident. I heard SSN is for Life. Now I 'm going to apply for ITIN this year. 

My question here is Is that normal or procedure to take back the card when we came for name change ? Can I get it back and what are my options?

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.