Applying Indian passport for twins born in US

destinyshines

Our twins are 2 months old and were born in USA.  We are planning to return to india ASAP for personal and health reasons. I and my wife are both GC holders. We havent applied for the kids US passports.

1. How do i go about getting my kids an indian citizenship as opposed to a US one?

My research tells me that i can register their birth with the indian embassy and later apply for their passport. Doing this will automatically waive their US citizenship. We are not too worried about them coming back to US. We probably wont. 

2. Are these 2 processes done simultaneously? 

3. Since we are both GC holders, do we have to apply for GC for them to have status in US? 

Chances are that as soon as we have their passports, we will return to india. 

4. To folks who have done this in the past, what do you reccomend?

5 hours ago, destinyshines said:

Our twins are 2 months old and were born in USA.  We are planning to return to india ASAP for personal and health reasons. I and my wife are both GC holders. We havent applied for the kids US passports.

1. How do i go about getting my kids an indian citizenship as opposed to a US one?

My research tells me that i can register their birth with the indian embassy and later apply for their passport. Doing this will automatically waive their US citizenship. We are not too worried about them coming back to US. We probably wont. 

2. Are these 2 processes done simultaneously? 

3. Since we are both GC holders, do we have to apply for GC for them to have status in US? 

Chances are that as soon as we have their passports, we will return to india. 

4. To folks who have done this in the past, what do you reccomend?

There is no such thing as "waiving their US citizenship". They are automatically and involuntarily US citizens, and there is no possible way for them to lose their US citizenship until they grow up and voluntarily intend to lose it. However, as long as their birth is registered within one year of birth at an Indian consulate, and they do not get a US passport, they are also Indian citizens. I think usually they would also apply for Indian passports at the same time; I'm not sure why you guys would wait.

As US citizens, there is no way for them to get a green card or US visa. The only document they can get to allow an airline to board them for travel to the US is a US passport. But getting a US passport would cause loss of their Indian citizenship. Another option for them to return to the US might be to travel to Canada or Mexico first and then enter the US by land without a US passport, using only their birth certificate.

Archived