H1b Consular Processing

Hi Guys,
Currently I am on L1B & my spouse on L2 . My company filed my Greencard in EB2 category & it is in the prevailing wage determination stage. My company asked me to file H1B  this year because i have been told it is required to switch from L1B to H1B for green card.I don't know how much time it will take to get I-140 approval, so I  decided to go with H1B consular processing because i wanted my spouse to continue her job on L2.   Once I get I-140 , then i can activate my H1B through  consular processing. 

My H1b lottery got through this year. I need a bit of suggestion on the below mentioned things :

1) Do I have to inform the greencard filing agency that i want to go for consular processing of H1B  or it will be taken care automatically ?
2) When is the good time to activate H1b ? 
3)Can I travel outside USA on L1 & come back on L1 ? Is there anything which i need to take care of before travelling outside USA ?
4) Is there any risk involved while activating the H1B through consular processing ?

Please share if anyone having similar experience.

Thanks in advance