Employment Based greencard

5unny

Hi everyone,

I am working now as a full time employee for a company and I am currently on stem extension (OPT). Next year will be my last chance to apply for H1 and I am little bit worried about it. I am the first employee in my company that needs visa sponsorship. My company want to sponsor Green Card for me (Employment based). I have the following questions, please help me out. thanks in advance!

Can I start the procedure now (being on F1 status)?

If yes how long does it take to get approved?

What are the steps to start the procedure?

• 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:16 AM, 5unny said:

Hi everyone,

I am working now as a full time employee for a company and I am currently on stem extension (OPT). Next year will be my last chance to apply for H1 and I am little bit worried about it. I am the first employee in my company that needs visa sponsorship. My company want to sponsor Green Card for me (Employment based). I have the following questions, please help me out. thanks in advance!

Can I start the procedure now (being on F1 status)? Yes you can, but it is recommended to get H1B first, else GC is not dependent on any Visa but you cannot work in USA until unless it is approved, so you need H1B to work here.

If yes how long does it take to get approved? Except EB1 category it is probably more than your life time, so not worth to wait that much....:)

What are the steps to start the procedure? Your employer will definitely needs an immigration lawyer for this, he will explain you all the steps and procedure.

Just to be on safe side and under any unfortunate instance if your H1B does not get pick next year in your last chance then simply move to an F1 Visa again, join any other course avail the CPT from day1. Bottom line you can file your GC but you need some other visa to stay and work legally in this country.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2018 at 8:16 AM, 5unny said:

Hi everyone,

Can I start the procedure now (being on F1 status)?

If yes how long does it take to get approved?

What are the steps to start the procedure?

Employment based Green Card process is for future employment. You can start this process now but if you depend on the green card to be approved to begin employment you will have to wait very very very long time if in EB2 or EB3 category. Even if you are willing to wait 10 years get GC in EB2 or EB3 your employer most likely will not wait.

H1B and Green Card process are independent in some sense. H1B is for temporary employment and EB based GC is for permanent employment. The job requirement and function can be different for H1B and for PERM

On 6/12/2018 at 6:17 PM, ashukla said:

Just to be on safe side and under any unfortunate instance if your H1B does not get pick next year in your last chance then simply move to an F1 Visa again, join any other course avail the CPT from day1. Bottom line you can file your GC but you need some other visa to stay and work legally in this country.

day one CPT = Say goodbye to life in USA. Its illegal.

On 6/12/2018 at 7:47 AM, ashukla said:

That's a really bad idea. No real university does CPT from day one. And signing up with a fraud institution means the person will never get an H1 nor a GC.

It is amazing that just a couple years after the TVU raid people talk about doing this kind of fraud again. I guess some people really like to get ankle bracelets and throw away their future in the US.

Archived