Social Security Benefits for USC Parent

Recommended Posts


My father holds a Green Card. He has no income and no assets. He lives with me (I am a USC). In a few months, he will be eligible to become a US Citizen.

Once he becomes a USC, is he eligible for any Social Security benefits or SSI ? He has never worked in the USA.

He is 78 yrs old.

Edited by Arules
Link to comment
3 hours ago, pramak9 said:

@Joef, is the 10 years need to be a USC? or H1B and GC time can count towards the 10 years.

Thanks in advance

It counts all time paid into the social security system. That would be on H1, L1, or GC, for example. People on F1 are exempted from paying these so-called FICA taxes for 5 years.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.