Transitioning from CPT to OPT

Ind30

Hi,

I am currently working on CPT for about 8 months now. My program will end in April so i have the CPT approval till end of April.  I have also applied for OPT (Which I could apply only 90 days before my program end date). Evidently, OPT requests these days are taking around 95-100 days to approve . If i assume my OPT to approve within the same time frame there would be around 2-3 weeks of time when I would not have any work authorization. My CPT will expire and my OPT wouldn't be approved. My question is do I need to quit my job during that 2-3 weeks time of would it be OK if i do not work and take leave without pay from my employer. That way I wouldn't lose my existing job.

My school however says that leave without pay should be fine but employer has to agree for it. Please suggest if it possible legally?

On 2/26/2018 at 1:56 PM, Ind30 said:

Hi,

I am currently working on CPT for about 8 months now. My program will end in April so i have the CPT approval till end of April.  I have also applied for OPT (Which I could apply only 90 days before my program end date). Evidently, OPT requests these days are taking around 95-100 days to approve . If i assume my OPT to approve within the same time frame there would be around 2-3 weeks of time when I would not have any work authorization. My CPT will expire and my OPT wouldn't be approved. My question is do I need to quit my job during that 2-3 weeks time of would it be OK if i do not work and take leave without pay from my employer. That way I wouldn't lose my existing job.

My school however says that leave without pay should be fine but employer has to agree for it. Please suggest if it possible legally?

YOu can take leave. You should not be paid for those days.

Archived