J2 visa transition to J1 or H1B despite home requirement


Recommended Posts

I am a physician on a J1 through the ECFMG with a 2-year home requirement. 

My wife has been working on a J2 as a teacher for the past 2 years.

I have been offered a position as an attending and am about to start the process of obtaining an O1 visa. 

Can my wife have her school sponsor her for an H1B or a J1 visa or is she bound by the 2-year home requirement of my J1 ?

If she can only transition to a J1 for teachers (which is limited to 3 years) will she be allowed only 1 more year or 3 or none at all (as she has already been teaching in the US on a different visa) ?


Thank you 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.