can a student on OPT-EAD own a part of the company ?

n_sai18

Hi 

I am a student on opt-ead extension doing a fulltime job. My friends (U.S citizens) has a startup related to Apps and during their initial days I have invested some money for their U.S based startup. Now they wanted me to be their partner owning a quarter shares of the company. So can anyone suggest whether I can hold shares in U.S based company while doing my fulltime job?

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2018 at 1:48 PM, n_sai18 said:

Hi 

I am a student on opt-ead extension doing a fulltime job. My friends (U.S citizens) has a startup related to Apps and during their initial days I have invested some money for their U.S based startup. Now they wanted me to be their partner owning a quarter shares of the company. So can anyone suggest whether I can hold shares in U.S based company while doing my fulltime job?

Thank you.

No. While OPT you need to do work related to your course.

On 2/16/2018 at 0:48 PM, n_sai18 said:

Hi 

Thank you.

Passive investment is always allowed. So, having shares of some company is not an issue.

Working for the company may be an issue. It is not clear if you are planning that.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:23 PM, JoeF said:

Passive investment is always allowed. So, having shares of some company is not an issue.

Working for the company may be an issue. It is not clear if you are planning that.

So can I be part of an LLC. structure company as a passive investor?