My question involves "Shoplifting" for the state of: Minnesota

External

I was recenty stopped for shoplifting at Ck store(Minneapolis).Wallet worth 19$. I really had no intention to do it and the situation was completely a way different. However I am so helpless to prove it all. Store person reported and Cop came in-took me to the back door. No finger prints taken, no arrest, no paper work or signatures asked. He recorded what ever I had to say.Gave a Misdemenour citation,he explained that I will receive something in the mail pertaining which court to appear.I am on F1 visa, currently on OPT and is working (IT-job),26 years old and I am really worried about my immigration and future career issues as I am planing to file my H1-B this April. My history is all clean till date and was never involved in such situation before.I was told that pleading guilty is a huge mistake and I want to avoid this being on my records. I am looking for advice on what to expect from here. How to handle court?There are really so many questions that are running in my mind currently. 

Thank you so much for any help you can provide. I cannot tell you how stupid I feel. I am really beating myself up over this.Please suggest

On 2/11/2018 at 7:29 PM, External said:

I was recenty stopped for shoplifting at Ck store(Minneapolis).Wallet worth 19$. I really had no intention to do it and the situation was completely a way different. However I am so helpless to prove it all. Store person reported and Cop came in-took me to the back door. No finger prints taken, no arrest, no paper work or signatures asked. He recorded what ever I had to say.Gave a Misdemenour citation,he explained that I will receive something in the mail pertaining which court to appear.I am on F1 visa, currently on OPT and is working (IT-job),26 years old and I am really worried about my immigration and future career issues as I am planing to file my H1-B this April. My history is all clean till date and was never involved in such situation before.I was told that pleading guilty is a huge mistake and I want to avoid this being on my records. I am looking for advice on what to expect from here. How to handle court?There are really so many questions that are running in my mind currently. 

Thank you so much for any help you can provide. I cannot tell you how stupid I feel. I am really beating myself up over this.Please suggest

How did you handle this case?

Archived