Visa stamping and POE exp after DUI

lessonlearned

Hello 

I wanted to share my exp of visa stamping and POE exp with everyone. hoping it would help someone and also determent for dui

Huge thanks for all the ppl who habe replied (MRAV , pagaldeewana) and others who are not active now.

Had dui on 17th dec, BAC 0.15

Had a good lawyer, case over. dui charges amended to reckless driving with no record of booze anywhere. license was never suspended 

Visa interview

Had my interview on dec 1st

Me- GM 

VO - GM

gave him my I797

he Dint say anything and was looking at screen for almost 15 sec 

VO- have u been arrested  (what a start)

Me- Yes sir, it was dui but convicted only for reckless driving

VO- due to have case doc

Me - Yes and showed to him

He starts typing something and I am thinking thats it 

than he asked about where I work, job title and salary

He gave me 221g(white) and said I need to get medical panel done

I knew the whole process and dint ask anything 

Came out , immediately called Rele Clinic and said can I get test done today. Initially he refused but after some request he said If i can make it by 11 than yes. Reached there exactly at 11. make sure u carry pics of 2 by 2 size (i dint knew that)

got blood test and xray done

Dr rele is nice person. he asked abt medical history and incident and did medical checkup

Asked me to go to psychiatrist . they have a office boy who will take u der. Told him about incident and other details and also that I have been sober for a year 

He said he will put tht as a mistake and asked not to repeat again

Came back to clinic , asked Dr if everything is fine,he said since u have been sober there should be no issue and he has not seen any concern in all the test run till now. They said they will submit the report by Monday Dec 4th

Submitted my passport on dec 8th as mentioned on 221g (5 business days after medical panel was completed )

ceac update -11 dec 

kept checking everyday

CEAC update - 26th dec, paspsort tracker saying no update for passport number ( got freaked out)

CEAC update - 28th dec  with same passport tracker info

CEAC update 29th Dec - Issued ( huge sigh of relief). picked up passport same day

Flew back on dec 3rd POE was Newark 

Long queue, took almost 45 min to reach the counter. 

Dint asked any question , as soon as finerprinting happened , took me to secondary 

Only one officer there . There was a family and a guy working for shipping company before me 

Guy got pissed as shipping company guy dint had any guarantee letter 

Next was me , asked me why I did got arrested, told him it was for dui which was later reduced to just reckless driving 

asked me how much u drink, I said I have been sober for a year than asked how much I used to drink and what happened on the day 

Later he asked does the consulate know u were arrested, I said yes thats why I was asked for medical panel test. told him I have copy of 221g and receipt for medical panel test 

huge relief when he said here is your pasport 

In all it took 30 min there 

P.s I did a stupid thing though.the stamp ws not clear and asked will it be an issue if stamp is not clear. He got agitated and said u have a good day sir . I just pick my stuff and almost ran for the door ... In hindsight should have left immediately but was more worried abt the stamp than the situation I was standing :P

Congrats for making all the way.And appreciate for sharing your experience.

Many people come here when they are in trouble but unfortunately they do not do their 2 cents  to share their experience after trouble passes away but you did not so I appreciate it.

Looks you wrote in hurry ,can you please given clear dates (month/year at least) - bcoz it says 17 dec dui, then 1 dec stamping and 3rd dec travel.

@rockersingh8

Thanks for the reply. You seriously had a good Lawyer, who was able to reduce it to Dry Reckless with BAC of 0.15.  It would be great, if you could share your Court/Arraignment/Pre-trials experience as well. Did you go thru trials? Please share. 

I am under same situation where, my Blood Test showed BAC as 0.14. For me, I had my DUI Arrest in August 2017, and based on Blood Report BAC 0.14, the DL was suspended by DMV in start of Nov'17.

Now I have my Arraignment, on 10th Jan 2018 and my attorney has asked me if I want to go for Guilty Plea or challenge the decision. She told me, it is difficult to get it reduced below DUI on record based on my BAC. Now she is saying, there is little chance of reducing, so it's up to me if I want to go for Guilty Plea, as it would close the case fast. I am not sure, what decision to take, it could take couple of more months when going for further Hearings and the result might be same.

Please reply. That would definitely help in making my decision.

Thanks..

On 1/4/2018 at 3:58 PM, rockersingh8 said:

Hello 

I wanted to share my exp of visa stamping and POE exp with everyone. hoping it would help someone and also determent for dui

Huge thanks for all the ppl who habe replied (MRAV , pagaldeewana) and others who are not active now.

Had dui on 17th dec, BAC 0.15

Had a good lawyer, case over. dui charges amended to reckless driving with no record of booze anywhere. license was never suspended 

Visa interview

Had my interview on dec 1st

Me- GM 

VO - GM

gave him my I797

he Dint say anything and was looking at screen for almost 15 sec 

VO- have u been arrested  (what a start)

Me- Yes sir, it was dui but convicted only for reckless driving

VO- due to have case doc

Me - Yes and showed to him

He starts typing something and I am thinking thats it 

than he asked about where I work, job title and salary

He gave me 221g(white) and said I need to get medical panel done

I knew the whole process and dint ask anything 

Came out , immediately called Rele Clinic and said can I get test done today. Initially he refused but after some request he said If i can make it by 11 than yes. Reached there exactly at 11. make sure u carry pics of 2 by 2 size (i dint knew that)

got blood test and xray done

Dr rele is nice person. he asked abt medical history and incident and did medical checkup

Asked me to go to psychiatrist . they have a office boy who will take u der. Told him about incident and other details and also that I have been sober for a year 

He said he will put tht as a mistake and asked not to repeat again

Came back to clinic , asked Dr if everything is fine,he said since u have been sober there should be no issue and he has not seen any concern in all the test run till now. They said they will submit the report by Monday Dec 4th

Submitted my passport on dec 8th as mentioned on 221g (5 business days after medical panel was completed )

ceac update -11 dec 

kept checking everyday

CEAC update - 26th dec, paspsort tracker saying no update for passport number ( got freaked out)

CEAC update - 28th dec  with same passport tracker info

CEAC update 29th Dec - Issued ( huge sigh of relief). picked up passport same day

Flew back on dec 3rd POE was Newark 

Long queue, took almost 45 min to reach the counter. 

Dint asked any question , as soon as finerprinting happened , took me to secondary 

Only one officer there . There was a family and a guy working for shipping company before me 

Guy got pissed as shipping company guy dint had any guarantee letter 

Next was me , asked me why I did got arrested, told him it was for dui which was later reduced to just reckless driving 

asked me how much u drink, I said I have been sober for a year than asked how much I used to drink and what happened on the day 

Later he asked does the consulate know u were arrested, I said yes thats why I was asked for medical panel test. told him I have copy of 221g and receipt for medical panel test 

huge relief when he said here is your pasport 

In all it took 30 min there 

P.s I did a stupid thing though.the stamp ws not clear and asked will it be an issue if stamp is not clear. He got agitated and said u have a good day sir . I just pick my stuff and almost ran for the door ... In hindsight should have left immediately but was more worried abt the stamp than the situation I was standing :P

Congrats

• 2 months later...
On 1/6/2018 at 3:13 PM, theace said:

@rockersingh8

Thanks for the reply. You seriously had a good Lawyer, who was able to reduce it to Dry Reckless with BAC of 0.15.  It would be great, if you could share your Court/Arraignment/Pre-trials experience as well. Did you go thru trials? Please share. 

I am under same situation where, my Blood Test showed BAC as 0.14. For me, I had my DUI Arrest in August 2017, and based on Blood Report BAC 0.14, the DL was suspended by DMV in start of Nov'17.

Now I have my Arraignment, on 10th Jan 2018 and my attorney has asked me if I want to go for Guilty Plea or challenge the decision. She told me, it is difficult to get it reduced below DUI on record based on my BAC. Now she is saying, there is little chance of reducing, so it's up to me if I want to go for Guilty Plea, as it would close the case fast. I am not sure, what decision to take, it could take couple of more months when going for further Hearings and the result might be same.

Please reply. That would definitely help in making my decision.

Thanks..

@theace - I am in the same situation. Which state are you from? Can you please PM me? I'm really worried!!

• 2 weeks later...

had traveled internationally for work last week

POE was chicago. Had to wait almost 1.5 hrs as there were almost 40-50 ppl in room

finally name was called , asked did u still work in same firm . I said yes and I was good to go

officer was very nice , even told me that my I-94 expiry is now as per passport expiry and not to worry. I can get a new passport and get a new entry stamp or apply for extension before the end date.

Archived