Increased Scrutiny at Naturalization Interviews

Attorney_22

This week, Murthy Law Firm attorneys will answer questions regarding the increased scrutiny of naturalization applicants during the interview.

Rules for Topic of the Week Threads:

1. Attorney's postings contain general information only and are not a substitute for case-specific legal advice.

2. The attorney will answer only those questions which relate to the main subject. If you have a question on some other issue, please start a new thread in the appropriate forum section.

3. The attorney will not necessarily answer every question posted and may provide a single answer to a group of similar questions.

4. Please do not provide information which would identify any specific company, university or individual.

One of my friend who has L1 visa went outside US on official trip. Yesterday (26th Oct 2017)  his entry to US was denied in London due to new border security measures implemented by Trump. He says his L1 visa was striked out without reason. He moved to houston on L1 in April 2017. His spouse and kids are back in Houston and he is stuck in London. He says his company lawyers are looking into it. Just wanted to know what options he has as he cannot enter US or be with his family.

18 hours ago, Attorney_22 said:

This week, Murthy Law Firm attorneys will answer questions regarding the increased scrutiny of naturalization applicants during the interview.

Rules for Topic of the Week Threads:

1. Attorney's postings contain general information only and are not a substitute for case-specific legal advice.

2. The attorney will answer only those questions which relate to the main subject. If you have a question on some other issue, please start a new thread in the appropriate forum section.

3. The attorney will not necessarily answer every question posted and may provide a single answer to a group of similar questions.

4. Please do not provide information which would identify any specific company, university or individual.

On 10/27/2017 at 11:11 AM, Reddy G said:

One of my friend who has L1 visa went outside US on official trip. Yesterday (26th Oct 2017)  his entry to US was denied in London due to new border security measures implemented by Trump. He says his L1 visa was striked out without reason. He moved to houston on L1 in April 2017. His spouse and kids are back in Houston and he is stuck in London. He says his company lawyers are looking into it. Just wanted to know what options he has as he cannot enter US or be with his family.

He should call our office and speak with us as soon as possible. 

On 10/27/2017 at 4:23 PM, ustunsel said:

I have my naturalization interview in Washington, DC in 2 weeks. Do you see a trend in increased scrutiny at the interviews? What areas of the application are mostly scrutinized? Do you see people getting denied citizenship? Thank you. 

For employment-based green cards, we are aware of officers going back to the original green card offer and scrutinizing the work history. Therefore, it is advisable to be ready with a clear and concise history of your employment and evidence your offer was bona fide.  To discuss this in detail, feel free to call our office. 

On 11/2/2017 at 2:09 PM, Alexander-2017 said:

How about NIW-based Green Cards? Do you see a trend in increased scrutiny at the interviews? What areas of the application are mostly scrutinized? 

The increased scrutiny is an overall trend for all Naturalization applications. The trend is to scrutinize the work history and employment offer of the original green card application (when applicable). 

I have another question.

I got my Green Card based on NIW. I worked for corporate "A" for few years then I got a better offer from corporate "B" and I have joined them. Both corporates are very well known ones in the IT domain. I'm now waiting for my interview to be scheduled. 

Now I'm planning to start my own business in the same field as stated in my NIW petition. Since I cannot start my own business while working full-time with corporate "B" due to conflict of interest, I'm thinking of resigning from corporate "B" to focus on starting my own business.

Is it better to wait until the interview is completed? Or can I just resign and start my own business? Will it have any impact on my citizenship? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2017 at 1:35 PM, Alexander-2017 said:

I have another question.

I got my Green Card based on NIW. I worked for corporate "A" for few years then I got a better offer from corporate "B" and I have joined them. Both corporates are very well known ones in the IT domain. I'm now waiting for my interview to be scheduled. 

Now I'm planning to start my own business in the same field as stated in my NIW petition. Since I cannot start my own business while working full-time with corporate "B" due to conflict of interest, I'm thinking of resigning from corporate "B" to focus on starting my own business.

Is it better to wait until the interview is completed? Or can I just resign and start my own business? Will it have any impact on my citizenship? 

As a legal permanent resident you can work in any legal capacity you wish, and if it is within the same field as the NIW, it generally will not be an issue for naturalization. However, to discuss this in detail it is advisable to schedule a call with one of our attorneys. 

Archived