J1 fear of persecution waiver

On 7/15/2018 at 12:02 PM, J1disease said:

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. This is my timeline:

- USCIS received I-612 February 2018 (California Service Center)

- DOS received DS-3035 February 2018

Been waiting for 5 months now, but it feels like forever! 

USCIS processing time is currently 10-13 months, with receipt date for a case inquiry going back to June 22, 2017! Which means i cannot submit a request to expedite since my application was received after 6/22/17.

Anyone applied around the same time as me with progress on their case?

@J1disease hey, first I really like your username. That's how J1 visa waiver feels to me right now - a disease lol. I applied late september 2017, and haven't heard anything back yet. 

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/15/2018 at 7:35 AM, Stillwaiting88 said:

Yesterday i received a mail for request for evidence from uscis  asking for more proof and for some documents for my case.i am now meeting with my lawyer to see my next step. My online status didn't change and still showing received.

@Stillwaiting88 finally you get some news! get on it quick and I wish you the best of luck! I hope your wait will finish soon. fingers crossed!

1 hour ago, J1disease said:

Thank you "STILLWAITING88" for the update! RFEs are annoying but good new is, your application is being reviewed by someone 🙂

When did you submit your application? just to have an idea on the timeline...

And can you please share any details about the evidence/documents requested? 

I submitted on november 9

The only thing that doesnt look good that they didnt mention exactly what they want.

it looked like a template with no specific information just more evidence and even they have my country wrong on it.

Most probably the officer was working on a previous application and copy pasted the same template without even changing the country and kept the country of the previous person he reviewed.

That doesn't look good. I am wondering if my application was properly reviewed.

1 hour ago, Stillwaiting88 said:

I submitted on november 9

The only thing that doesnt look good that they didnt mention exactly what they want.

it looked like a template with no specific information just more evidence and even they have my country wrong on it.

Most probably the officer was working on a previous application and copy pasted the same template without even changing the country and kept the country of the previous person he reviewed.

That doesn't look good. I am wondering if my application was properly reviewed.

Oh well! Perhaps this warrants contacting your Congressman? It doesn't look like USCIS is giving your application the attention it deserves... especially after more than 8 months of wait.

Congressman can open an inquiry with USCIS and hopefully expedite the process.

2 hours ago, applicant23 said:

@J1disease hey, first I really like your username. That's how J1 visa waiver feels to me right now - a disease lol. I applied late september 2017, and haven't heard anything back yet. 

I know right! We desperately need a cure. Wow... around 10 months of wait! I thought 5 was bad 😕 

Looks like it's best that i start considering other routes to get J1 waiver or non-immigrant visa!

21 hours ago, J1disease said:

I know right! We desperately need a cure. Wow... around 10 months of wait! I thought 5 was bad 😕 

Looks like it's best that i start considering other routes to get J1 waiver or non-immigrant visa!

It sure is really long! I definitely recommend that you look for other ways, at least as a backup. I called uscis again wondering if my case is lost or whatever, the lady just read out bunch of information from the uscis website, which I already know by memory. I asked to expedite, she asked my situation and claimed that I don't qualify for my case to be expedited. Wonderful. 

So I received an email from dhs saying that they updated my status. I logged in my account and saw REF, but I haven't received an actual mail just yet. Those who had to deal with RFE, what is the time frame given to prepare documents? And what did you or your lawyer had to submit? What does the form(s) look like? I just need some general description please.

4 hours ago, applicant23 said:

So I received an email from dhs saying that they updated my status. I logged in my account and saw REF, but I haven't received an actual mail just yet. Those who had to deal with RFE, what is the time frame given to prepare documents? And what did you or your lawyer had to submit? What does the form(s) look like? I just need some general description please.

Mmm it all depends what they are asking 

Mine i was given till october to answer. And they only asked for more evidence nothing specific 

You have to answer there requests and all the question

To be honest the lawyer told me it is very non specific and there is no way to know what they want and they should have specified in the request. I am gathering more letters to support my case and i cant do more . I already submitted a lot of things.

It is becoming more and more frustrating

Good luck!

4 hours ago, applicant23 said:

Mine i was given till october to answer. And they only asked for more evidence nothing specific 

To be honest the lawyer told me it is very non specific and there is no way to know what they want and they should have specified in the request. I am gathering more letters to support my case and i cant do more . I already submitted a lot of things.

Good luck!

On 7/18/2018 at 3:09 PM, Stillwaiting88 said:

Good luck!

Thank you @stillwaiting88 ! I have not received the physical copy, my online account was updated only, so I am still waiting to see it in the mail. I did contact a lawyer, and to be honest in that 10 long months I thought how i could have improved my application and I am definitely armed with better arguments and evidence to provide. How is your RFE preparation going?

On 7/20/2018 at 12:57 PM, applicant23 said:

Thank you @stillwaiting88 ! I have not received the physical copy, my online account was updated only, so I am still waiting to see it in the mail. I did contact a lawyer, and to be honest in that 10 long months I thought how i could have improved my application and I am definitely armed with better arguments and evidence to provide. How is your RFE preparation going?

Hello Applicant 23

Did u receive ur rfe by mail. How does it look like

Is it also non specific or they asked for specific details 

I am wondering if yours is the same as mine

Please keep us updated 

8 hours ago, Stillwaiting88 said:

Hello Applicant 23

Did u receive ur rfe by mail. How does it look like

Is it also non specific or they asked for specific details 

I am wondering if yours is the same as mine

Please keep us updated 

hey @Stillwaiting88 thanks for checking in. I am still waiting for the mail to come, its been over a week since the update in my account. I will let you know the contents of my RFE once I get it!

hi @Stillwaiting88 and @applicant23 May I ask if you know what I should do if my I-612 under persecution has been submitted and received but my DS 2019 is expiring. I failed to file for a waiver earlier because my sponsor filed for extension. Unfortunately it was denied. My I-612 was received by USCIS last May 28, 2018 and my DS3035 was received by DOS June 18, 2018. I still do not have updates and my DS2019 is expiring August 31, 2018. Thank you very much and God Bless.

@Stillwaiting88

hi @Stillwaiting88 and @applicant23 May I ask if you know what I should do if my I-612 under persecution has been submitted and received but my DS 2019 is expiring. I failed to file for a waiver earlier because my sponsor filed for extension. Unfortunately it was denied. My I-612 was received by USCIS last May 28, 2018 and my DS3035 was received by DOS June 18, 2018. I still do not have updates and my DS2019 is expiring August 31, 2018. Thank you very much and God Bless.

@Stillwaiting88

8 hours ago, Faithful1 said:

@Stillwaiting88

Hello faithful1

If you have a j1 sponsor u can file for a new ds2019 form but if you dont have a sponsor or u cant get a new ds2019 then u have to look for other visa category like O1. The persecution waiver is taking at least a year to get it that  if ur lucky and they didnt ask for rfe

As far as i know u cant stay in the usa with no status, but it is better to call a lawyer because ur situation is tricky and u dont want to stay illegally. Even if you have to pay for a lawyer dont risk it this is my advice especially with the new regulation and how strict now they are

Hope this helps

Best of luck!

My time line:

- 06/13/17: uscis received my i612 applocation 

- 06/28/17: DOS received my ds3035, ds2019, passport page, fee, statement of reason, form g28

- 02/08/18: uscis forwarded my case to dos for recommendation opinion

- 06/08/18: DOS received i612/i613 from USCIS

- now still waiting for DOS recommendation.

Edited by Waivermed
Typo error
On 8/2/2018 at 10:23 AM, Faithful1 said:

@Stillwaiting88

I agree. You should immediately seek legal advice

Hey all!

I finally got my RFE in the mail. Basically they asked me to provide copies of all my visas from the passport with entry/exit stamps, which is easy to do. They also want me to elaborate more on one particular sentence I wrote in the statement, and overall give more evidence. So this time I contacted a lawyer and will be working with him to send out my evidence

11 hours ago, applicant23 said:

Hey all!

I finally got my RFE in the mail. Basically they asked me to provide copies of all my visas from the passport with entry/exit stamps, which is easy to do. They also want me to elaborate more on one particular sentence I wrote in the statement, and overall give more evidence. So this time I contacted a lawyer and will be working with him to send out my evidence

Exactly what i got!  I am not sure if it is a template sending it  to  everyone because they also asked for my passport visa stamps and show more evidence overall 

Lets hope for the best , today they received my RFE response and my status updated to response received

14 hours ago, Stillwaiting88 said:

Exactly what i got!  I am not sure if it is a template sending it  to  everyone because they also asked for my passport visa stamps and show more evidence overall 

Lets hope for the best , today they received my RFE response and my status updated to response received

Nice! I wish you all the best. My situation is not looking so good. Once I talked to the lawyer, he was not satisfied with the quality of the application that I submitted on my own and pretty much suggested I re-apply. I suggested why don't we write another statement and provide more evidence for RFE instead of starting over. He also said that he writers 15 to 40 pages of statements for a client!!! How long was yours?

On 8/3/2018 at 5:18 AM, Waivermed said:

My time line:

- 06/13/17: uscis received my i612 applocation 

- 06/28/17: DOS received my ds3035, ds2019, passport page, fee, statement of reason, form g28

- 02/08/18: uscis forwarded my case to dos for recommendation opinion

- 06/08/18: DOS received i612/i613 from USCIS

- now still waiting for DOS recommendation.

that's quite interesting. Why receiving i612 form take 4 months at DoS?  Is this a typical processing time between Dos and USCIS?

9 hours ago, applicant23 said:

Nice! I wish you all the best. My situation is not looking so good. Once I talked to the lawyer, he was not satisfied with the quality of the application that I submitted on my own and pretty much suggested I re-apply. I suggested why don't we write another statement and provide more evidence for RFE instead of starting over. He also said that he writers 15 to 40 pages of statements for a client!!! How long was yours?

Well mine was around  15 pages with around 15 articles and 5 letters. And now i added 2 pages and 4 new letters and few more articles. Dono to be honest how it should be done. 

Best of luck!!

9 hours ago, carewaiver said:

that's quite interesting. Why receiving i612 form take 4 months at DoS?  Is this a typical processing time between Dos and USCIS?

Its not typical but lately (this year) it has been the case for many as per my lawyer because the processing has slowed down and too many cases.

Hi, 

I was planning to make an e-request due to outside the normal processing time this month. I have applied to CSC mid July 2017. The last time that I checked, the processing time for I-612 was showing 13 months. When I checked yesterday, it is showing 14 months at CSC now. So, I need to wait one more month for such a request. I also checked the historical average processing times for waivers, it is increasing every year. For example, It is 28.7 months for 2018. 

I have sent my documents to DOS on July 20th 2018. I am checking the case status, But DoS didn't updated my case yet. Even it is showing no information. 

Both USCIS and DoS are getting slower on waiver requests day by day...

Can I ask everyone to pleas share their time lines?

Here is mine:

Late Jan 2018: USCIS received my i612 application

Feb 2018: DOS received my i3035 and the package. 

Case status: Still pending 😞

I had my i-485 interview last week and my waiver has not been approved yet. I was so worried that the IO will deny my case and will have me start over everything again, but luckily that wasn't the case. The officer said that they will have my case on hold until my waiver is approved and as soon as I sent them the approval of my j1 waiver they will approve my i-485. I haven't received anything in mail yet, but at least that's what the officer told me. My best wishes to everyone!