Options post Second Masters in US with no OPT

secondmaster2017

Hi,

I am currently on F1 Visa doing my MBA in US but with no OPT. Since I do not have OPT and any previous H1B filed, what are my options to stay and work in the US after graduation in May 2019?

Is it possible to file for H1B based on my previous Masters degree quota in May 2018 and change the status once I graduate in May 2019 in case my H1B case is approved in 2018 and I have a job offer from a US based employer.

Please help me with options to work in the US post my MBA in May 2019.

Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I already have a Master's Degree from US and now again in US for MBA degree. My OPT was approved for the 1st Master's degree but I never used the EAD card for employment. But as I understand irrespective of EAD used or not OPT is gone and can not be used for my MBA degree with graduation in May 2019.

My query is if I want to work in US post my MBA degree, what are the options available? Is it possible to file H1B based on my 1st Master's degree in 2018 and can I use H1B petition(in case approved in 2018) for status change from F1 to H1 once I graduate with an MBA degree in May 2019. 

Thanks.

17 hours ago, JoeF said:

An H1 can only be filed up to 6 months before the start of the H1.

Thanks for your reply. So what your reply means is that since I would like to work post MBA graduation in May 2019, an employer can file for H1 only in April 2019 but not in April 2018. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If that is the case what are my options post MBA graduation in May 2019. As I understand there would be grace period of 60 days post which I would have to leave US.

17 hours ago, copco said:

You are right on both counts. You will not be eligible for OPT. But your employer can use your previous Masters degree to file a Masters cap petition. You cannot begin working before October 2018 though.

Thanks for your reply. It seems like I would have to get employer to file H1 in April 2019 and not April 2018 if I graduate in May 2019 and work post MBA.

Archived