H1B Extension Stamping Before current h1b expiration date

yman

My current stamped visa expiry date is Aug 23, 2017. I’m planning for India travel dates: May to Aug 2017.
I got my extension approved from Aug 2017 to Aug 2020.

So in this case, if I go for Stamping (Dropbox) will the visa stamped be valid only from Aug 24th, 2017? Will I be able to travel back to US on June, 2016? Which petition number will be on Visa, if at all stamped? Or should I not go for stamping?

I will be eligible for dropbox since I’m applying for same class of visa which is not expired yet and in the same place. And it is as per the eligibility criteria listed here: http://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-niv-visarenew.asp

Your help is highly appreciated. Thanks!

On 5/6/2017 at 11:55 AM, yman said:

My current stamped visa expiry date is Aug 23, 2017. I’m planning for India travel dates: May to Aug 2017.
I got my extension approved from Aug 2017 to Aug 2020.

So in this case, if I go for Stamping (Dropbox) will the visa stamped be valid only from Aug 24th, 2017? Will I be able to travel back to US on June, 2016? Which petition number will be on Visa, if at all stamped? Or should I not go for stamping?

I will be eligible for dropbox since I’m applying for same class of visa which is not expired yet and in the same place. And it is as per the eligibility criteria listed here: http://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-niv-visarenew.asp

Your help is highly appreciated. Thanks!

You can go for drop box option. Your visa will be stamped till Aug 2020 with new petition number. Make sure you fill new I-797 details in DS-160. Visa stamp will always have an issue date but not a start date. So your visa is valid from the date it is stamped.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi yman. I am in similar situation right now.

My current petition expires on Oct 19 2017. New extension petition is valid from Oct 19 2017 to oct 2020.

I am travelling to India on 9th Sept and returning on 1st Oct. I am going for drop box. In ds160 I have given the new petition. You mention stamp with old and new petition. Did you give both petitions while dropping off documents? 

Archived