Currently in H4. Need to convert it to F1

Jack20170327

Hello,

I am currently in US on H4 visa and my current visa is getting expired on Jun 2017. I am planning to travel to my home country in May to attend F1 visa interview. My H4 extension of stay application was filled by my husband's employer on Feb, 2017 and it is pending with USCIS.

1. Will my H4 extension of stay petition gets abandoned if I travel outside of US.

2. In that case do I need to submit new application for H4 visa.

3. If I travel to US on F1 visa and then if my h4 gets approved will my status be automatically changed to H4 from F1

4. To avoid that do I need to withdraw my H4 extension petition.  

Thanks

On 3/27/2017 at 4:04 PM, Jack20170327 said:

Hello,

I am currently in US on H4 visa and my current visa is getting expired on Jun 2017. I am planning to travel to my home country in May to attend F1 visa interview. My H4 extension of stay application was filled by my husband's employer on Feb, 2017 and it is pending with USCIS.

1. Will my H4 extension of stay petition gets abandoned if I travel outside of US.

2. In that case do I need to submit new application for H4 visa.

3. If I travel to US on F1 visa and then if my h4 gets approved will my status be automatically changed to H4 from F1

4. To avoid that do I need to withdraw my H4 extension petition.  

Thanks

Better to wait for H-4 extension of stay approval and travel to home country after that. Reason is if you go and get F-1 stamp in May and return and your H-4 gets approved sometime in July, you will be in H-4 status again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jack20170327,

I am in the same boat, my h4 extension is still pending. I am in my second semester of Master's program and planing to convert to f1. Even i am confused on how should I get my F1 status so that I can continue my course with F1 status from the month of August 2017. Let me know your updates.

Archived