H4 extension based in Spouse H1b approved extension.

devarn

Hi,

My H1B/myWife H4 are valid till June 2017. My wife is in India now, i will be receiving H1B extension this month. My wife H4 extension was not applied since my Attorney had told Dependent has to be in US while applying.

I will be travelling to India after my Extension approval.

Could some one clarify below:

If i go for H1B stamping along with my Wife - will she be getting her H4 extended too (based on my H1B extension? Or

I can only apply her extension after returning to US.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Narendra

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2017 at 1:23 PM, devarn said:

Hi,

My H1B/myWife H4 are valid till June 2017. My wife is in India now, i will be receiving H1B extension this month. My wife H4 extension was not applied since my Attorney had told Dependent has to be in US while applying.

I will be travelling to India after my Extension approval.

Could some one clarify below:

If i go for H1B stamping along with my Wife - will she be getting her H4 extended too (based on my H1B extension? Or

I can only apply her extension after returning to US.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Narendra

Yes, she will also get extended. Both of you can go for stamping using your I-797.

• 3 weeks later...

I am in a similar situation. My firm is going to file my H1-B extension in a couple of weeks and my wife who is on H4 will be traveling outside the US for a few weeks. Both our current I-94 expiry date is till Oct 2017. 

Does she have to stay in the US or not exit US while my H1-B extension is in progress? And if she does travel and then travel back to US, can she return on her existing H4 visa which doesn't expire till Oct 2017 even after my H1-B extension is approved or will she have to go to a consulate and get a new H4 stamped?

Thanks a lot guys!

Archived