Regarding EAD and International Travel Plan

gargh16

Hello Attorneys,

I am a student graduated in August 2016 with Masters of Science Thesis in Mechanical Engineering in Ohio. I applied for EAD in July 2016 and received my EAD card on 08 November 2016 , with the start date of 14th October 2016. I am still searching for jobs right now. 

I also have travel plans to India for 1 week from 14-21 Jan 2017. My EAD card says that it is not valid for international travelling.  As guided by the immigration office I can be unemployed only to the maximum of 90 days from my OPT start date i.e. till 14 Jan 2017. What are the best possible options for me now. 

Please guide me and help.

Thanks

"Volunteers or unpaid interns (for standard pre or post-completion OPT): Students may work as volunteers or unpaid interns, where this practice does not violate any labor laws. The work should be at least 20 hours per week for students on post-completion OPT. A student should be able to provide evidence, acquired from the student's employer, to verify that he or she worked at least 20 hours per week during the period of employment."

Maybe ask your professor/supervisor for help in getting a suitable position and then you can look for a paid one.

Thank You Murthy Law Firm,

My professor denied for helping me to get a position as volunteer intern. I am talking  to other professors as well. Now I am keeping myself to the other options .I seek your help with the following options (I think) available for me now.

Option.1:  I should start the Ph.D program from January 2017. But my work permit /EAD valid for 3 years start date (14 Oct 2016), i.e. earned by completing my masters degree will be completed/cancelled, and I wont be able to work anymore. Until I complete my Ph. D degree, I wont be able to apply for EAD again.

Option 2:  My friend has a small business company(4-6 employees), and he  is willing to hire me as a manager in his company , but he is not sure how this process works, and whether he can hire me or not. The company has a business for sales. The work does not relates to mechanical engineering domain, since its basically a managerial position in his company. Can I work in his company without violating any labor laws. 

Since I have no time left and in december 2016 the hiring freezes, so I don't have much time left to figure out my back up option. Advice me what are the other possible options which are left with me now.

Also one more thing, what  so ever companies I have interviewed with, they ask me whats my work status, since they are looking for permanent resident.

My reply is " My work authorization is F1-OPT/ Employment Authorization Document (EAD). I can work for any employer until 14th October 2019 without any sponsorship."

Please guide me and help

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Attorneys,

I got enrolled in voluntary research intern position(unpaid) today(full time-40 hours per week) with a research foundation and I have 25 days left on my 90 day countdown period of my OPT. I Once I receive an offer letter I will update with immigration office at my university probably by the end of this week. 

I also have travel plans to India from 12 Jan(Thursday) - 23 Jan 2017(Monday). Please advice , is that safe to travel to India and come back.

If yes ,what documents are needed for travelling to India and coming back. Is there any letter  which I need from my employer( any specific format (please provide) . Also, what are the chances, I might get issues while entering USA at port of entry. 

Please guide me and help.

Thanks

Archived