I-140 approved and laid off while I was in India - how to come to USA

tal2012

Hello All,

I need your advise to come out of the situation. I would highly appreciate your help. Thank you very much in advance.

Here is my situation.......

- I have 140 approved and have H-1 B visa stamped in passport till 13 March 2017. The client  informed to my company on 27th October that project is discontinued  while I was working from India. Just FYI, I was allowed to work temporarily from India. I was then immediately laid off from my company once project is discontinued. Currently I am in India and I wanted to come back to USA to be able to search jobs and do interviews effectively. I believe that being in US would give more chances of getting job offer than searching from India. Also, in case I get job while I am in India, I would need to wait till approval (I-797) whereas I can start new job based on receipt. However, I am still searching for jobs from India.

What are my options now? I would appreciate the responses.

Thank you again

On 12/3/2016 at 0:24 AM, tal2012 said:

Thank you Shekar11# and JoeF for your responses. I highly appreciate it.

Regarding getting visitor visa, can I get more information? Do I need to mention reason like job search or I need to mention any other reason? I appreciate and welcome for any advises.

Thank you again all...

There is no clear rule as to whether searching for jobs is allowed on a B1 visa.

On one forum, somebody gave his experience about getting a B1 to attend a job interview (different than searching for a job):

"There were no clear answers on any of the official web sites. So I emailed my local consulate asking them if it's okay to apply for a B1 visa for the purpose of attending a job interview.

They said that it's okay and I can apply for a visa. So I brought an informal invitation letter from the company and I got my visa approved.

On the border I stated that the purpose of my visit was a job interview. Got usual 6 months.

However, as I mentioned, I had an invitation letter. I suppose that if you want to look for a job while in the US, the rules might be different."

So, ask the consulate. But I suspect the answer may be negative for the situation of "looking for a job."

• 3 years later...
On 11/28/2016 at 12:26 AM, tal2012 said:

Hello All,

I need your advise to come out of the situation. I would highly appreciate your help. Thank you very much in advance.

Here is my situation.......

- I have 140 approved and have H-1 B visa stamped in passport till 13 March 2017. The client  informed to my company on 27th October that project is discontinued  while I was working from India. Just FYI, I was allowed to work temporarily from India. I was then immediately laid off from my company once project is discontinued. Currently I am in India and I wanted to come back to USA to be able to search jobs and do interviews effectively. I believe that being in US would give more chances of getting job offer than searching from India. Also, in case I get job while I am in India, I would need to wait till approval (I-797) whereas I can start new job based on receipt. However, I am still searching for jobs from India.

What are my options now? I would appreciate the responses.

Thank you again

How did the job search go? We’re you been able to make it to US? I am in similar situation except that I lost job while in US and making a choice to go back to India.. take a break.. search for job and then come back to US. 
could you please provide details on how was your overall experience? I have an option to stay back in US and do a job hunt ( 120 days limit) but I know this is tough time to find the job quickly. Hence opting to go back. However, I m bit skeptical about  this whole thing of coming back using approved I-140. Hence looking for first hand information.

thanks

Edited by Vishal95