F2 to F1 go to visa stamping or apply for COS

anicsp

Hello,

I am currently on F2 visa and recently got my F1 (I-20) from NEC.  I am still thinking which would be the best and safe option to choose.....i.e., apply for Change of Status with an attorney or go for visa stamping in Canada.

My wife is on F1 and she is travelling to India this Dec 10th and she is travelling for more than 6 months.  I am not travelling to India but want to change my status to F1.  Getting mixed responses for both visa stamping and COS...

1. COS takes more than 3-6 months and until this is approved I cannot start attending classes

2. Once COS is approved, in future....they are saying that if I travel to India I have to go for stamping and there are very high chances for rejection.

3. If I go for visa stamping in Canada, if it gets denied....then I have to go back to India and they are saying that I will also loose my F2 status. 

I am in confusion and not sure what to do.  Please somebody suggest me and help me with this query.

Thanks,

Anirudh

1. Yes, it takes anywhere between 3 to 6 moths for COS.

2. It depends on the credibility of the school you are attending.

3. Yes. If your student visa is denied you need to go back to India.

If you have time you can apply for COS and wait for it's approval OR you can go to home country and get your visa stamped and then start school. 

On 11/21/2016 at 2:15 PM, shekar11# said:

1. Yes, it takes anywhere between 3 to 6 moths for COS.

2. It depends on the credibility of the school you are attending.

3. Yes. If your student visa is denied you need to go back to India.

If you have time you can apply for COS and wait for it's approval OR you can go to home country and get your visa stamped and then start school. 

Thank you very much for your reply.....I am going with the COS.....

Archived