H1B Renewal Approved on Nov 7-8 @ Tijuana, Mexico.

US_H1_Stamping

It’s time again to put my 2 cents to Murthy where I get most of stamping information.

Same employer and client and vendor since last time.

Previous Experience: In Kolkata 2015 with 221G. http://forum.murthy.com/index.php?/topic/92949-h1b-visa-issued-after-221g-at-kolkata-us-consulate/#comment-366283

You should get Mexican tourist visa. I went to Tijuana all the way from east coast and followed mostly what my friend suggested for hotel and food. I didn’t have to do much of research. Link below is his experience and it has embedded links for Tijuana details:

http://forum.murthy.com/index.php?/topic/95158-visa-approved-tijuana-mexico/&/topic/95158-visa-approved-tijuana-mexico/?hl=tijuana

I flew to San Diego, took Blue Line trolley from American plaza like most of the previous folks, walked through the border and stayed in Hotel Hacienda Del Rio. The hotel is decent and very welcoming. Good Wifi as my friend mentioned. 5 mins walk from ASC. Offers free shuttle to Consulate- but you have to reserve the shuttle while checking-in. I carried ~U.S $100 cash along with equivalent Mexican pesos. There are currency exchange shops @ San Ysidro border.

ASC Appointment:

Nov 7, 2016 @ 1 pm. Reached there like an hour ago. They did let me in. Don’t carry cell phone. Documents needed – passport, DS160 Confirmation and fee receipt/appointment confirmation. Done in 7-8 mins. She just verified name and DoB, renewal, same employer etc.

Online status for DS-160 AA# changed to “Ready” after an hour.

Consulate Interview:

Nov 8 @ 10:15 AM. Reached Consulate 45 mins early. My hotel had free shuttle ride to Consulate. We were allowed to go in at 10 AM.

Interview Q’s:

Me: Good Morning mam .

VO: Smiled and said good morning and asked for passport, I-797 and DS-160 confirmation. (No other documents asked)

VO: Is it a renewal with same employer?

Me: Yes.

VO: where do you live ?

Me: Told

VO: Ok – why are you here in Tijuana from that far?

Me: I didn’t find suitable date in India.

VO: Did you try Canada, which is closer to you? Montreal has dates. Tijuana can also reject visa. (I didn’t expect this Q’s)

Me: I was little scared hearing “Reject” word and said sorry I didn’t look at Montreal dates and my friend informed me Tijuana dates are available.

VO: Smiled and said don’t worry. I am not refusing your visa. I know people from California come here and it’s easier for us to verify their case.

Me: Ok.

VO: what is your job role?

Me: Explained.

VO: How much you make per year?

VO: Highest education?

VO: I see you are married. Where is your wife?

Me: She is at (told our address). She has her own H1B.

VO: Alright. Your Visa is approved. Please pick passport tomorrow @ 3 PM. She kept my 797 as well.

Me: Thank you. Do you keep my I-797?

VO: (In a relaxed way) Yes I will need that to print your visa. Tomorrow you will get that with passport. But your visa is approved!

Me:  Smiled and thanked her again.

The lady VO was good and very communicative. Took a cab back to hotel- $12, paid in US $ cash. In the evening around 5 PM – the status changed to issued.

Return to U.S.

I checked out from hotel and collected passport next day at 3 PM. Hotel shuttle dropped me @ Consulate and gave a ride to border as well from there.

Let me put the NEW pedestrian border crossing. It has changed from Aug 1, 2016. It’s no longer at the old Sentri line. It’s actually on the left hand side of car lanes where the big U.S. flag is –left side of the bridge facing U.S. It’s completely new. The cab dropped us at the old location. There I saw people offering help to carry luggage to the new place with $10-$15. Me and one other Indian family, we took help from one of them as road to new immigration building from old I-94 building is like a mile far and there is no sign on the road either. He carried luggage as well.

New pedestrian border crossing building is totally like airport. No wait time I saw. It’s a 2-stage process. At first, like airport, CBP officer called me and checked passport, 797 and asked about employer, job title etc. Then the officer guided me outside and asked to get in I-94 building, which is on U.S side and on the right side. There I got paper I-94 for $6 (through land is still paper I-94). CBP officer at I-94 counter was doing through checking and asking for employer letter, DL along with passport and I-797 from everyone. Took fingerprint, checked above documents, stamped passport and new paper I-94. Come out of the building and you are in U.S. (San Ysidro) – just opposite to the Outlet mall !!

Overall my Tijuana stamping experience was good like others. People are humble and helping. I didn't see any odd due to election. Stay confident and carry all documents and answer all the questions being composed.

Cheers !!

15 hours ago, US_H1_Stamping said:

It’s time again to put my 2 cents to Murthy where I get most of stamping information.

Previous Experience: In Kolkata 2015 with 221G. http://forum.murthy.com/index.php?/topic/92949-h1b-visa-issued-after-221g-at-kolkata-us-consulate/#comment-366283

You should get Mexican tourist visa. I went to Tijuana all the way from east coast and followed mostly what my friend suggested for hotel and food. I didn’t have to do much of research. Link below is his experience and it has embedded links for Tijuana details:

http://forum.murthy.com/index.php?/topic/95158-visa-approved-tijuana-mexico/&/topic/95158-visa-approved-tijuana-mexico/?hl=tijuana

I flew to San Diego, took Blue Line trolley from American plaza like most of the previous folks, walked through the border and stayed in Hotel Hacienda Del Rio. The hotel is decent and very welcoming. Good Wifi as my friend mentioned. 5 mins walk from ASC. Offers free shuttle to Consulate- but you have to reserve the shuttle while checking-in. I carried ~U.S $100 cash along with equivalent Mexican pesos. There are currency exchange shops @ San Ysidro border.

ASC Appointment:

Nov 7, 2016 @ 1 pm. Reached there like an hour ago. They did let me in. Don’t carry cell phone. Documents needed – passport, DS160 Confirmation and fee receipt/appointment confirmation. Done in 7-8 mins. She just verified name and DoB, renewal, same employer etc.

Consulate Interview:

Nov 8 @ 10:15 AM. Reached Consulate 45 mins early. My hotel had free shuttle ride to Consulate. We were allowed to go in at 10 AM.

Interview Q’s:

VO: Smiled and said good morning and asked for passport, I-797 and DS-160 confirmation. (No other documents asked)

VO: Did you try Canada, which is closer to you? Montreal has dates. Tijuana can also reject visa. (I didn’t expect this Q’s)

Me: I was little scared hearing “Reject” word and said sorry I didn’t look at Montreal dates and my friend informed me Tijuana dates are available.

VO: Smiled and said don’t worry. I am not refusing your visa. I know people from California come here and it’s easier for us to verify their case.

VO: Alright. Your Visa is approved. Please pick passport tomorrow @ 3 PM. She kept my 797 as well.

VO: (In a relaxed way) Yes I will need that to print your visa. Tomorrow you will get that with passport. But your visa is approved!

The lady VO was good and very communicative. Took a cab back to hotel- $12, paid in US $ cash. In the evening around 5 PM – the status changed to issued.

Return to U.S.

I checked out from hotel and collected passport next day at 3 PM. Hotel shuttle dropped me @ Consulate and gave a ride to border as well from there.

Let me put the NEW pedestrian border crossing. It has changed from Aug 1, 2016. It’s no longer at the old Sentri line. It’s actually on the left hand side of car lanes where the big U.S. flag is –left side of the bridge facing U.S. It’s completely new. The cab dropped us at the old location. There I saw people offering help to carry luggage to the new place with $10-$15. Me and one other Indian family, we took help from one of them as road to new immigration building from old I-94 building is like a mile far and there is no sign on the road either. He carried luggage as well.

New pedestrian border crossing building is totally like airport. No wait time I saw. It’s a 2-stage process. At first, like airport, CBP officer called me and checked passport, 797 and asked about employer, job title etc. Then the officer guided me outside and asked to get in I-94 building, which is on U.S side and on the right side. There I got paper I-94 for $6 (through land is still paper I-94). CBP officer at I-94 counter was doing through checking and asking for employer letter, DL along with passport and I-797 from everyone. Took fingerprint, checked above documents, stamped passport and new paper I-94. Come out of the building and you are in U.S. (San Ysidro) – just opposite to the Outlet mall !!

Overall my Tijuana stamping experience was good like others. People are humble and helping. I didn't see any odd due to election. Stay confident and carry all documents and answer all the questions being composed.

Cheers !!

Thanks a lot. For sharing ur experience and ur findings

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2016 at 0:38 PM, US_H1_Stamping said:

ASC Appointment:

Consulate Interview:

Interview Q’s:

Return to U.S.

Cheers !!

Thanks for sharing your experience. So you believe H1b visa stamping for consultants is also not difficult in Tijuana?

• 3 months later...

Archived