Marriage and U.S. Immigration

This week, Murthy Law Firm attorneys will answer questions regarding marriage and how this may affect U.S. nonimmigrant and immigrant petitions/applications.

Rules for Topic of the Week Threads:

1. Attorney's postings contain general information only and are not a substitute for case-specific legal advice.

2. The attorney will answer only those questions which relate to the main subject. If you have a question on some other issue, please start a new thread in the appropriate forum section.

3. The attorney will not necessarily answer every question posted and may provide a single answer to a group of similar questions.

4. Please do not provide information which would identify any specific company, university or individual.

• 2 weeks later...

If a person has Started the I-485 process (Receipt Confirmation and Biometrics completed), and in the meanwhile travels to India on H1B and gets married. Will he be able to process GC for his spouse ? i.e.

1. Would he have to process H4 and bring his spouse to US

2. If I-485 is approved before processing of H4 (Will the H1/H4 still be valid).

3. If I-485 is approved before marriage  (Will the H1/H4 still be valid).

On 11/24/2016 at 6:27 AM, Ajamal said:

If a person has Started the I-485 process (Receipt Confirmation and Biometrics completed), and in the meanwhile travels to India on H1B and gets married. Will he be able to process GC for his spouse ? i.e.

1. Would he have to process H4 and bring his spouse to US

2. If I-485 is approved before processing of H4 (Will the H1/H4 still be valid).

3. If I-485 is approved before marriage  (Will the H1/H4 still be valid).

Yes it is possible, provided the couple is married prior to the green card being approved. Whether or not the individual will file an adjustment of status or consular process will depend on where the applicant is. To be eligible for an H4, the principal must be in H1B status and therefore if the green card is approved prior to entering the U.S. in H1B and H4 status, the new applicant must consular process. 

Archived