Power of Attorney issue while buying property

ramarao123

Hi,

A few years ago I had created a power of attorney document back in India. This was with the intention to give my father financial responsibility to operate my accounts and property. I moved to US and then settled over here while my father continues to operate my accounts/property over in India. Recently I decided to buy some property here in US. My intention is not to give any control of the property over here. I do not want my father to intervene/fiddle with the properties over here. Is it possible for my father to influence the property here in US directly ? Should I do something before the purchase of this property ? I am somewhat sure that the POA will expire sometime in a couple of years. Unfortunately I do not have the POA with me, but I am pretty sure I did not add any foreign property clauses in there. I remember mentioning any property in my name in the POA document. Does that include US property as well ? Mostly my concern is about the validity of India POA document here in US.

Please advise me. Thanks.

Archived