Opening a LLC on H1B in US

nvedia

2 hours ago, nvedia said:

Yes I get that - thanks

I was just explaining to him since he thought I just want to transfer money

Isn't it pretty funny that on L1 you can only work, but on L2 EAD you can pretty much do any jobs or do Business

Same for H1B and H4 EAD (So being on H4 is more powerful)

Clearly these rules are made with no common sense or logic at all 

Yup, it is somewhat ironic. But both are tied to the H1/L1, so if the H1 or L1 holder gets laid off, the person on H4-EAD or L2 immediately has to stop working.

For the L2, there actually is some sense behind it: Since the L1 is a company transfer from abroad, it may be that some people, particular executives, would refuse a transfer to the US if their spouse can not work.

For the H4-EAD, the reason behind that is to ease the pain of long GC wait times. Of course, it would be better to change the quotas or get rid of the quotas, but that wouldn't go through the current Congress.

So, what looks like no logic has the main logic to get something, anything done without involving an anti-immigrant Congress. It is rather sad, but when a failed businessman can become a candidate for President...

On 9/28/2016 at 9:02 AM, nvedia said:

Not to send money to India, that was part of it

To answer your question, I want to open a company to do Business in USA

Sorry, I misunderstood then. Your original question was:

"I am currently on H1B with I140 approved. 

I wanted to know if its fine to open a LLC in US with not working for it as I would be the only person in that company.

There is a friend of mine in India and my involvement would be to send the money he gets in company's account to him (India). Is there any way this is allowed?"

From this, I thought you wanted to send money. 

If you want to open a business in your line of work, then there are legitimate ways to do it. Doing Business in USA is totally possible for foreign investors and foreign companies. 

• 1 year later...

I am on H1B currently and came up with a great business Idea in collaboration with another co-worker who is a US Citizen. 

We are trying to setup our LLC to pursue the idea further and approach investors. I am planning to own 30% of the equity and would like to understand what role/designation can I play in the new company without getting into legal obligations. 

Archived