Wife complains about false domestic violence..taken to shelter. Please help.

Andy10

Need some advise on  a situation here - Me and my wife had a argument last night, and I ended up yelling at her. She yelled back as well. I did not touch her.

Today morning, when I came to office, I received a call from the Cops, that your wife has reported a domestic violence issue and we have taken her with us. The cops asked me what happened, and warned me that if you hit your wife we will arrest you. They said, we are not filing any restraining order yet, but this incident will be reported on my file. Further he told, we have admitted your wife to a shelter and she is asking for a separation from me. They said, if she wishes to contact you, she will call you. Am on a work permit visa here in the USA, and my wife is playing the victim card just to settle her ego. Please advise what should I do. I would want to meet her, and get her back home if she is willing. But all this, will it have any problem with my further visa extensions and in other immigration matters?

Well, we have only heard your side...

Domestic violence is a very serious issue in this country.

And a spouse would not all of a sudden "play the victim card." That's not how relationships work. Don't think that people are stupid...

If she went to a shelter, there has lots more been going on before "last night."

And if it had been the first time, you would not talk about "playing the victim card." Such terminology only comes up if the marriage has been on the rocks for quite some time.

• 3 weeks later...

Need some advise on  a situation here - Me and my wife had a argument last night, and I ended up yelling at her. She yelled back as well. I did not touch her.

Today morning, when I came to office, I received a call from the Cops, that your wife has reported a domestic violence issue and we have taken her with us. The cops asked me what happened, and warned me that if you hit your wife we will arrest you. They said, we are not filing any restraining order yet, but this incident will be reported on my file. Further he told, we have admitted your wife to a shelter and she is asking for a separation from me. They said, if she wishes to contact you, she will call you. Am on a work permit visa here in the USA, and my wife is playing the victim card just to settle her ego. Please advise what should I do. I would want to meet her, and get her back home if she is willing. But all this, will it have any problem with my further visa extensions and in other immigration matters?

Andy, I hope your family situation is already resolved. A DV charge has to be proven in court and a conviction given for it to affect your adjustment of status. What usually happens in situations like yours is that the couple goes to court and the system tries to play the wife and husband against each other. There is no other way of proving guilt unless there was a evidence of physical abuse or a witness who attests to the violence. I hope your wife got back to reason, and you did not take a plea in abeyance, which is what most people do thinking that it would not affect them once the case is expunged. Unfortunately, immigration will still have access to your criminal records even if they have been expunged.   

Archived