F1 to Green Card using EB1


Recommended Posts



   Here is my case, hope someone can answer my question below:


I am a PhD student here in USA on F1 VISA. I got married during my final thesis. I came back to USA to find a job thinking of bringing my wife to USA under F2 visa but things changed as I could not find a job.


Meanwhile I applied to Green Card under EB1C AFTER my marriage and got the Green Card.


Now how can I bring my wife to USA? What are the options I had?


Please help me.



Link to comment

Sorry, it is a typo. Yes I mean EB1A. I did find a website which had detailed information on "Following-to-Join" benefits for spouse and chidren.


I am little concerned that the same information on "Following-to-Join" benefits on USCIS website is not talking about Spouse but just on Children. 

Link to comment

please reference follow to join benefits lower down on the following page.




"  Following-to-Join Benefits

This section is for beneficiaries who became permanent residents through a preference classification.

If you were married and/or had children who did not obtain permanent residence at the same time you did, they may be eligible for follow-to-join benefits. This means that you do not have to submit a separate Form I-130 for your spouse and/or children. In addition, your spouse and/or children will not have to wait any extra time for a visa number to become available. In this case, you may simply notify a U.S. consulate that you are a permanent resident so that your spouse and/or children can apply for an immigrant visa.

Your spouse and/or children may be eligible for following-to-join benefits if: 

  • The relationship existed at the time you became a permanent resident and still exists, AND 
  • You received an immigrant visa or adjusted status in a preference category. 

If your family member falls into this category and you adjusted to permanent residency in the United States, you may submit the following:

If you are in the United States and have not yet filed to adjust your status to permanent resident, you can file Form I-824 with your Form I-485, in which case no supporting documents are needed other than those submitted with Form I-485.

If you received the immigrant visa overseas, you may contact the National Visa Center (NVC) for follow-to-join information. Send your inquiry by e-mail to NVCInquiry@state.gov or by writing to the National Visa Center, ATTN:  WC, 32 Rochester Ave., Portsmouth, NH 03801-2909. 

To download the forms and instructions mentioned above, see the corresponding link in the “Forms” section to the right.""

Link to comment


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.