Questions about OPT Extension and eligibility

buddinggeek

Hi All,

I am under an employer right now and my H1 did not get picked this year. I just heard about the new OPT stem rules which also includes this statement "The rule also requires that a student must have a bona fide employer-employee relationship with an employer to obtain a STEM OPT extension "

I assume this would mean I might not be eligible to work as a third party consultant on Corp to corp or contract to hire basis. What are my options? 

My last day of OPT is 3/2/2017 and if my employer applies for my H1 next year on the 31st, is there anyway for me to maintain my status provided my extension does not get approved? 

Request you suggestions and advice on this matter.

Thank you so much! 

• 2 months later...

I broke down all the sequences that were happen from the date I Applied for OPT Extension.

please review them and let me know, if there is any way that I am eligible for OPT 24 months extension.

July 11th: An I-20 Extension application submitted to university which includes I-983 form and extension request form

July 28th: A package sent to USCIS with all the required documents except OPT Extension I-20.

July 29th: Current EAD expiration date.

July 29th: Package received by USCIS.

Aug 2nd: Notice date.

Aug 3rd: Received an email from USCIS with receipt number

Aug 8th: Received an email from University saying that they are unable to generate an OPT extension I-20 because of USCIS and SEVIS regulations.

Aug 9th: I spoke with International center advisor, she said they are unable to update my SEVIS because they are trying to do this after the EAD card expiration date and the website is not allowing them to update any information into the site. (as per my understanding)

The Job that i am currently-in, is in my area of study, I am working directly for the employer and the employer is E-verified.

Archived