Greencard: immigration secondary questioning at POE

Hello

My parents have a greencard and have been maintaining it by coming to the US every 6 months and staying for atleast a month since 1998.

However, in the last couple of years every time they come in they are taken in for Secondary questioning at the Port of Entry.

The questions asked by immigration are :

" Why are you not staying in the US ? "

"What is the reason for your extended stay outside the US" etc

They have been out of the US due to family reasons, but are now planning on moving to the US for good in the next 2 years or so.

They are worried that they will continue to face the same questioning and may have their green card revoked at the airport.

Is there a risk of their Greencards being revoked at the airport?

Should they consider surrendering their GC and reapply in 2 years?

IS there any other way to tackle this?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Originally posted by Tina D:

Hello

My parents have a greencard and have been maintaining it by coming to the US every 6 months and staying for atleast a month since 1998.[/quote}

Sigh.

It is NOT and has NEVER been enough to just travel to the US once in a while.

They actually have to LIVE in the US. It is called "Permanent Residence" for a reason.

No surprise that they have been questioned.

Again, they need to LIVE in the US. Otherwise, they risk losing their GCs.

If they intend to live in the US, they should do so immediately. They have abused the system for 13 YEARS. Shame on them for violating the rules that govern their GCs.

If they do not intend to actually LIVE in the US, they should give up their GCs and get a visit visa.

Originally posted by davidid8:

Hi Tina,

Are your parents usually out of the US less than 6 months or more than 6 months ?

Doesn't matter. Living in the US is what matters. A person could travel out of the US to live somewhere else, and could lose the GC immediately.

Do they have reentry permit ?

Also not enough.

May I know which POE ?

Also irrelevant. The law applies everywhere in the US.

Archived