Green card validity

I haven't lived in the US for over 20 years but still have my physical green card. While I know it is not valid anymore I have never filed I-407 to to surrender it. On the IRS site it says that you don't need to file taxes if your GC has been "administratively terminated". So I am wondering where I stand.

"You continue to have resident status (for tax purposes), under this test, unless you voluntarily renounce and abandon this status in writing to the USCIS, or your immigrant status is administratively terminated by the USCIS..........."

The above is the quote from the IRS web site re Alien Resdiency (Green Card test).

The voluntary renouncing in writing I believe would include filing the I-407 (which I have not done). Hence my question, how can I find out if my immigrant status has been "administratively terminated"

Originally posted by wiarruz:

"You continue to have resident status (for tax purposes), under this test, unless you voluntarily renounce and abandon this status in writing to the USCIS, or your immigrant status is administratively terminated by the USCIS..........."

The above is the quote from the IRS web site re Alien Resdiency (Green Card test).

The voluntary renouncing in writing I believe would include filing the I-407 (which I have not done). Hence my question, how can I find out if my immigrant status has been "administratively terminated"

Your GC is invalid. You are not a PR if you don't live in the US.

Archived