Finger printing is completed but will be moving out of US for a brief period

East_West

Hello:

After applying for US citizenship in Dec 2015, our finger printing has been completed last month (in Seattle). I believe it might take a while before we get an interview appointment. My question to the forum is:

1.      Am I allowed to take up a job outside the US (leaving for a faculty job in September), but wanted to come back for the interview? Is this a hindrance to the Citizenship?

2.      Of course, we will maintain a US residential address (example: directing the mail to relatives by sending the change of address to USCIS) so that we can come back to attend the interview?

Please advise the pros and cons.

• 4 weeks later...

RpRam - No one has responded, however JoeF and Ponte..are the best on this website who give a solid rather authentic response! So I have read their reply to you, and I could not have agreed more! Bottom line is until you get the US Passport, you are still a Green card holder, so PR is simply PR, period, so behave:) So I will wait and see regarding the arrival of a letter for my Interview.

Interestingly, my wife whose finger printing was done in January 2016 (as compared to mine in Dec 2015 - Seattle) already has her interview date for April. I have been in USA for a while and moved to different schools and worked at different places (6 states in total), whereas my wife came to US in 2005 after our marriage (and lived in 2 states). So I am not sure if my stay in 6 states is taking its time for FBI-verification, but my wife is ecstatic! at least she is the lucky one! 

If you move out of the US, you would lose the GC. And without GC, obviously no naturalization.

For a Permanent Resident, any trip abroad has to be temporary in nature, with a clear ending date.

Taking up a faculty job is not temporary. Something like a Post-Doc could be seen as temporary, since Post-Doc contracts have a clear ending date.

Thanks JoeF and Pontevechhio - I got your message, loud and clear! Much respect to both of you! Yes, as I mentioned in my previous note, PR is a PR and NOT a citizen, so I will stay put here and postpone my Faculty joining date! Ponte..I will see what I can do in terms of the Federal senator suggestion! However, we are surprised to receive an interview note to my wife so early after the fingerprinting (just in less than 3 months)! Again, much respect to both you, and your knowledge on these issues are impeccable! 

Archived