successful visa stamping with and expunged DUI Conviction

reddy123

Hi All

I had a successful visa stamping at Hyderabad on Dec 8, 2015. Here is what happened.

July 12, 2011
Got arrested for DUI with BAC - 0.09
Hired a top notch lawyer. Ofcourse, shelled out a lot of $$$$

Nov 11,2011
Pleaded No Contest, Charges were reduced to Wet Reckless driving.

Nov 11, 2013
Expunged my Conviction record.

Didn't travel to India until Dec,2015

Dec 7, 2015
Finger Printing done

Dec 8, 2015
VO: Good Morning. How are you?
Me: Good Morning mam. Doing just wonderful. How are you ?
VO: Which company do you work for ?
Me : XXXXX ( btw folks... I work full time for a client )
VO: What's your annual salary
Me: XXXXXX
VO: ** Asked me a funny question regarding the benefits that I get from my client **
Me: ** Paused for a second, not to know what to say **
VO : I'm just kidding Sir. Your visa is approved.

No questions asked about my DUI or arrest. ( Yes, I did fill it up in the DS 160 form). No Physicians panel.

Dec 11, 2015
Picked up my passport.

At the Port of Entry
The immigration officer scanned my passport, checked all the H1 documents and let me in. He didn't even take my finger prints. I asked him couple of times if it okay for me to go without giving the fingerprints. He said that the system is not asking for my fingerprints and this happens with some people it seems.

P.S : Honestly, I have not idea if the easiness during the Visa Interview and POE is due to reduced charges of wet reckless or conviction expungement.

Thanks,

B

Expungement is of various types based on state law. Expungement of the arrest record, Expungement of the Fingerprint record, Expungement of the Mug shot etc., Expungement of all records pertaining to the matter with mandatory certification by the appropriate authorities that the judges orders have been obeyed. Secondly wet reckless driving in CA the eventual conclusion in your case did not need mandatory arrest. Best of luck in moving on. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am writing my story as I was in a lot of stress and wanted to know clear information.

I want you guys to first in place not be in my situation. If you are in then just read through this information and be aware and prepare ahead of time.

Dui 1: Feb 14th 2010

Bac: .20

San Francisco

Got expunged on march 2013 from SF court

Dui 2: April 24th 2015

Bac: .165

Denver

On DS 160 form I stated about both the duis and mentioned first one got expunged.

Visited India on December 2015. I am on H1-b and I was getting my 1st H1-b visa.

Visited Mumbai US Embassy on Dec 21st 2015.

VO: Welcome to US embassy. May I see passport, I-797.

Me: Gave document

VO: Where do you work?

Me: Answered

VO: Can you describe my role?

Me: Described

VO: I see you have 2 duis and recent one is with one year?

Me: Yes

VO: Gave me passport back and the 221 g form and told me since I have multiple duis and recent one is with in a year. I have to go through medial test.

VO: Said

• I have to take test
  • Then Clinic will send the results directly to US embassy along with the 221g form
  • Then based on the result we will update user saying that “send passport”
  • Then you drop off the passport at Mumbai drop off location.

Me: Thank you

Next steps:

• Stepped out of the embassy.
  • Took cab and went to Rele Clinic
  • Asked cab driver to take through the toll road and paid extra fees as its faster
  • Called Rele Clinic and told them I need an appointment for the same day
  • Mentioned to Rele Clinic US embassy gave me 221g because of dui and asked me to go through some tests
  • They are aware of what we are talking about
  • They said there is no appointment its walk-in (I would recommend to call as they would expect your coming and you can confirm your headed to right location)

At Rele Clinic on Dec 21st:

• Filled some forms
  • Gave blood
  • Met Dr. Rele
  • He asked me about my drinking habits and any past problems I had drinking related.
  • Took check x-ray
  • Then asked for around 12 passport size pictures
  • Referred me to a therapist
  • Gave me some slip
  • Once of boy that works at rele clinic walked with me to therapist to show the way
  • Therapist asked me a lot of questions about my drinking habits
  • And he was writing a lot on a sheet of paper based on my responses
  •  They he said I am done and he will send the report to Dr. Rele same day
  • Based on the report Dr. Rele will send my 221g form along with final report to US Embassy
  • I came back to Rele Clinic
  • Completed my paper work.
  • Rele Clinic gave me a CD in a Sealed envelope and said it has my xray results and asked me not to open. They said at the port of entry visa officer will ask for this CD.
  • Rele Clinic said they will send the report back to US Embassy in a day or 2.

On Dec 28th my status got updated and I also got mail from US travel doc saying please submit passport. Submitted passport the same day.

Then tracked visa status. On Jan 14th it said visa issued passport ready for pickup.

Collected passport same day and flew to US on Jan 15th

At the Port of Entry:

• Officer asked – Have you ever been arrested. I replied yes. Officer asked me to to go to another room. Where another officer took my passport and I-797. I was told that Visa is privilege and I can’t be repeating these things. He said he will not let me in. And Asked me to take a seat. I sat down for about 15 to 20 minutes then the same officer called me again and he stamped my passport and said welcome to US. They never asked me for any CD that Rele Clinic gave me.

Rele Clinic:

Address: 10 AA, Gita Building, A Wing, 2nd Floor,, Pandita Ramabai Road, Gamdevi, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400007, India

Phone: +91 22 2361 3737

US embassy Passport drop off location:

Address: Trade Centre, Ground Floor, Opposite MTNL, Bandra-Kurla Complex, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400051, India

Phone:+91 99878 43371

US Visa Tracking:

https://ceac.state.gov/ceacstattracker/status.aspx

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-niv-passporttrack.asp

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Please advise, DUI with .26 BAC (1st time). still case is going on.

Hired criminal and immigration lawyer, my concern is about green card (PD Nov 2010) effect on this issue.

Immigration lawyer mentioned there won't any problem since it is first offense.

Anyone in similar situation? Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

@murtyadvise: Thanks for the detailed summary for your case.

Even I had my visa interview at Mumbai Consulate recently and I am done with my Medicals as well. 

Was your 221(g) sheet White and was it mentioned to submit passport and medical receipts after 5 business days after medical and psychological exam?

You can also e-mail me at *******************@gmail.com

Hi,

Please advise, DUI with .26 BAC (1st time). still case is going on.

Hired criminal and immigration lawyer, my concern is about green card (PD Nov 2010) effect on this issue.

Immigration lawyer mentioned there won't any problem since it is first offense.

Anyone in similar situation? Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

I am in similar situation but my BAC is way less than yours. Can you e-mail me at ***************@gmail.com

• 7 months later...
On 3/12/2016 at 9:38 PM, murtyadvise said:

I am writing my story as I was in a lot of stress and wanted to know clear information.

I want you guys to first in place not be in my situation. If you are in then just read through this information and be aware and prepare ahead of time.

Dui 1: Feb 14th 2010

Bac: .20

San Francisco

Got expunged on march 2013 from SF court

Dui 2: April 24th 2015

Bac: .165

Denver

On DS 160 form I stated about both the duis and mentioned first one got expunged.

Visited India on December 2015. I am on H1-b and I was getting my 1st H1-b visa.

Visited Mumbai US Embassy on Dec 21st 2015.

VO: Welcome to US embassy. May I see passport, I-797.

Me: Gave document

VO: Where do you work?

Me: Answered

VO: Can you describe my role?

Me: Described

VO: I see you have 2 duis and recent one is with one year?

Me: Yes

VO: Gave me passport back and the 221 g form and told me since I have multiple duis and recent one is with in a year. I have to go through medial test.

VO: Said

• I have to take test
  • Then Clinic will send the results directly to US embassy along with the 221g form
  • Then based on the result we will update user saying that “send passport”
  • Then you drop off the passport at Mumbai drop off location.

Me: Thank you

Next steps:

• Stepped out of the embassy.
  • Took cab and went to Rele Clinic
  • Asked cab driver to take through the toll road and paid extra fees as its faster
  • Called Rele Clinic and told them I need an appointment for the same day
  • Mentioned to Rele Clinic US embassy gave me 221g because of dui and asked me to go through some tests
  • They are aware of what we are talking about
  • They said there is no appointment its walk-in (I would recommend to call as they would expect your coming and you can confirm your headed to right location)

At Rele Clinic on Dec 21st:

• Filled some forms
  • Gave blood
  • Met Dr. Rele
  • He asked me about my drinking habits and any past problems I had drinking related.
  • Took check x-ray
  • Then asked for around 12 passport size pictures
  • Referred me to a therapist
  • Gave me some slip
  • Once of boy that works at rele clinic walked with me to therapist to show the way
  • Therapist asked me a lot of questions about my drinking habits
  • And he was writing a lot on a sheet of paper based on my responses
  •  They he said I am done and he will send the report to Dr. Rele same day
  • Based on the report Dr. Rele will send my 221g form along with final report to US Embassy
  • I came back to Rele Clinic
  • Completed my paper work.
  • Rele Clinic gave me a CD in a Sealed envelope and said it has my xray results and asked me not to open. They said at the port of entry visa officer will ask for this CD.
  • Rele Clinic said they will send the report back to US Embassy in a day or 2.

On Dec 28th my status got updated and I also got mail from US travel doc saying please submit passport. Submitted passport the same day.

Then tracked visa status. On Jan 14th it said visa issued passport ready for pickup.

Collected passport same day and flew to US on Jan 15th

At the Port of Entry:

• Officer asked – Have you ever been arrested. I replied yes. Officer asked me to to go to another room. Where another officer took my passport and I-797. I was told that Visa is privilege and I can’t be repeating these things. He said he will not let me in. And Asked me to take a seat. I sat down for about 15 to 20 minutes then the same officer called me again and he stamped my passport and said welcome to US. They never asked me for any CD that Rele Clinic gave me.

Rele Clinic:

Address: 10 AA, Gita Building, A Wing, 2nd Floor,, Pandita Ramabai Road, Gamdevi, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400007, India

Phone: +91 22 2361 3737

US embassy Passport drop off location:

Address: Trade Centre, Ground Floor, Opposite MTNL, Bandra-Kurla Complex, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400051, India

Phone:+91 99878 43371

US Visa Tracking:

https://ceac.state.gov/ceacstattracker/status.aspx

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-niv-passporttrack.asp

My son had his interview on 14th Jan 2017. He was given 221g and he was asked to go thru medical checkup on. Did the medical on 19th Jan. The physician asked for present and past habit (prior to the incident) related to alcohol. Present: When he has social drink, he would strictly avoid driving. He would take UBER back home. Physician recorded approx occasions in a month. His session with therapist was extremely cordial. The therapist stated to write positive comments. At the clinic, a sealed cover containing a CD was given (to be opened at the port of entry by authorized personnel). My son has been asked to handover passport, receipt issued by the clinic, 221g after 5 days of medical.  As parents, we go thru tense moments (awaiting response by consular office).

My questions:

1) Present habit: Take UBER after a social drink - Will it impact negatively ?  

2) Therapist's positive comments: Will it be deciding factor ?    

3) Sealed cover containing CD to be opened at the port of entry: I presume  the physical report must be fine. Will this have a positive impact on the outcome

Please respond,

Worried Parents passing thru tense moments.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2017 at 8:16 PM, Dhandapani V said:

My son had his interview on 14th Jan 2017. He was given 221g and he was asked to go thru medical checkup on. Did the medical on 19th Jan. The physician asked for present and past habit (prior to the incident) related to alcohol. Present: When he has social drink, he would strictly avoid driving. He would take UBER back home. Physician recorded approx occasions in a month. His session with therapist was extremely cordial. The therapist stated to write positive comments. At the clinic, a sealed cover containing a CD was given (to be opened at the port of entry by authorized personnel). My son has been asked to handover passport, receipt issued by the clinic, 221g after 5 days of medical.  As parents, we go thru tense moments (awaiting response by consular office).

My questions:

3) Sealed cover containing CD to be opened at the port of entry: I presume  the physical report must be fine. Will this have a positive impact on the outcome

Please respond,

any update ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2016 at 3:24 PM, soafan2016 said:

@murtyadvise: Thanks for the detailed summary for your case.

Even I had my visa interview at Mumbai Consulate recently and I am done with my Medicals as well. 

Was your 221(g) sheet White and was it mentioned to submit passport and medical receipts after 5 business days after medical and psychological exam?

You can also e-mail me at *******************@gmail.com

how much time it took for u between ur interview and approval ?

Kindly let us know

• 9 months later...
On 1/30/2017 at 9:13 PM, rockersingh8 said:

any update ?

On 1/20/2017 at 6:46 AM, Dhandapani V said:

My questions:

Please respond,

Any update? please reply.

Archived