221g Blue Slip - H1B - Ottawa

2016emc2

@kyrawn you can get more details about teh mantis check and TAL on google.

Its basically a background check if you have done masters in US.

When emailing the consulate you can use the same email they contacted you at.

else there is a email provided on the consulate website for NIV (non immigrant visa)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all,

I got email today from Ottawa embassy to pick up my passport and visa, and they gave me Canada post tracking number. Hopefully when I pick up my passport, I should see my expected visa on it.

It was 16 business days wait for me after interview/ document submission.

What questions should I expect at immigration counter at my port of entry to the US.

Thanks you'll for your support.

Sam.

Hello everyone,

I had my H1B Visa interview on Jan 25th and I got 221g Blue Slip(Administrative Processing). The interview went well the oficer asked me about my job responsibilities and about my masters. She asked for my resume hard copy and retuned my passports with the 221g Blue slip. I don't know what went wrong. It's been 2 weeks and still waiting.

@2016emc2: I think we both has the same situation. Please let me know if you hear any update on Application. You can also reach me at my email: ncherukuri1@gmail.com . Let's hope for the best.

Thanks

Hi Nick,

I will.

@ Sam: good news - happy for you. Could you please answer the following.

what did the email say? That visa is approved and Mail your passport?

@ kyrawn: any updates? If so, could you also mention some details on the email your friend received?

No update on my case on the webpage you sent.

Thanks

Hello,

Nickmsp- I felt the same way. Nothing went wrong in our case. As per protocol vo need to send file for administrative processing if some one has masters/ research background. for me it took 16 business days after interview/ submitting documents. So be patient and you should receive email from embassy to submit your passport.

2016emc2- Email said- administrative processing for my case is completed. I should pick up passport and visa at respective Canadian postal station.

Hello All,

I had my H4 Visa interview on Feb 1st. The consular asked only few questions about my wife status and most of the questions were on my masters and my work experience. Then she returned my passport and gave 221g(blue slip) saying need some additional administrative processing.

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday i got an email from consulate to submit my passport which i submitted yesterday and it was delivered today morning. .Hoping to receive it back soon. In my case it was exactly 14 Business days  to get a response from the consulate on my  221g Administrative Processing.

Does any know how much time the Consulates take to return the passport with the Stamping ?

@samstrong123: You are right it's just the matter of time,which is always tough.

Thanks,

Nick.

Hi Nick,

I had my visa interview on 22nd Jan and I received 221g blue slip and my case is similar to your's. I went to India on 23rd Jan instead of staying in Ottawa. I returned back after receiving an email from the consulate to courier my passport which I did on 17 Feb and it was delivered yesterday(18 Feb). Today when I checked my visa status in the CEAC website it' still showing administrative processing and I will receive my passport when approved. Please let me know if you get an email to pick your passport.

Thanks,

Hi usvisah1,

I was also checking online status of my case, but even they emailed me to pick up my passport with visa, my online status was showing "interview". I think online update take some time than day-today status. In your case as they have asked you to submit passport, most probably they will stick visa on your passport and return you back your passport. Once you get email from embassy to pick up yr passport ( which should be in next few days), you get the passport with visa.

Sam. 

@usvisah1....dont worry, you will have your passport with Visa very very soon.

Once they asked you to submit your passport , then it will take exactly 5 business days to get the clearance on the CEAC  website.;.....from then they will immediately stamp on your passport and post it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I had my H4 (previously on H1) visa interview at Ottawa on Feb 23rd and I received a blue slip and said admin process is required. The questions were more about my background in Immunology instead of focusing on my husband's work or proof of marriage,etc. The VO also said he will try to expedite the process. Is this even possible? Is anyone else in this similar situation and also could someone let me know how long it typically takes?

Thanks !

hello rakum123....if you did a Masters in US and were asked about projects in Masters degree during the interview  or maybe then asked for a resume/C.V. during or after the interview.......then most likely your case went for a Mantis check.....

It will take about 16 business days after the interview for the check....if everything is clear then they will issue your visa.

here are the steps: I am working for ten years and extending the third or fourth time and got a 221g Blue slip

1. I had my visa interview in Ottawa on 1st Feb 2016 ( Monday)

2. questions asked about my education: MS in biotech/biochem, about my thesis and classes taken. no questions about my work

3. Took only resume from me and said might take 2 days to 20 days or more for admin processing. passport was with them

4. I waited for two days ( Wednesday) and then when I emailed, they said they are not sure how long it will take so I decided to fly to India and asked them to send me back the passport. 

5. Sent my passport on thursday received  friday morning. flew to inida on saturday

6. 22nd Feb I get an email that the case is clear. so I decide to fly back to Ottawa.

7. Landed 29th of Feb ( monday night)

8. courireed passport on tuesday morning, they recieved on wednesday

9. thursday they sent back the passport, but it took it two business days to get back. recieved 7th march monday afternoon two hours before my flight back to the US.

advice: embassy is very responsive on email, do not panic, try to read online and wait. for next time please try to go back to India for stamping, because this is additional stress and mentally, emotionally and financially. Also, when you return back to send the passport, try to send courier by monday so that you can  get the visa by friday

@2016emc2.....there are a lot of processings that are clubbed into the 221G administrative processing.

But if you did a Masters in US and were asked about projects in Masters degree during the interview  and then asked for a resume/C.V. during or after the interview.......then most likely your case went for a Mantis check.....

The 14 business days time for me started 2-3 business days after my interview....any questions let me know.

is that anything to do whether one is working Direct to the employer or EVC model or something else!

Hi, 

I had an interview for my H1B renewal on 13th Jan.

The VO asked for my Resume and gave me a 221g blue slip and was informed that Administrative Processing is needed and will get back once finished. 

Is/was anyone in a similar situation and guide on the time-line, please?

Thanks!

WERE you Direct to the Employer to EC/EVC Model

Hi all,

I just gave my interview this morning in Ottawa. The lady at the counter said no docs are needed. They just need some additional time to process my application. I got a blue slip this time. The last time i went for stamping, in Delhi, India. I had gotten a White Slip and it took 3 months back then. They didnt keep my passport. But asked for my DS 160 and Resume.

This time I'm hopeful that it won't take more than a month. 

I don;t have a case number or anything to follow up with. Can anyone tell me what I should do next!

Seems like i should email the consulate on Monday, considering its a friday today??

Hi all,

I just gave my interview this morning in Ottawa. The lady at the counter said no docs are needed. They just need some additional time to process my application. I got a blue slip this time. The last time i went for stamping, in Delhi, India. I had gotten a White Slip and it took 3 months back then. They didnt keep my passport. But asked for my DS 160 and Resume.

This time I'm hopeful that it won't take more than a month. 

I don;t have a case number or anything to follow up with. Can anyone tell me what I should do next!

Seems like i should email the consulate on Monday, considering its a friday today??

FROM WHAT I have been hearing 2 weeks - mostly the cases are resolved. If you dont mind, would you mind telling if you are FTE (full time employee) or work in EVC model? also can you share the questions that were asked?

I went for my interview to ottawa as well in 2014 for first time and it was approved within 4 business days (I did not receive any slip though). I am planning to go re stamping again

FROM WHAT I have been hearing 2 weeks - mostly the cases are resolved. If you dont mind, would you mind telling if you are FTE (full time employee) or work in EVC model? also can you share the questions that were asked?

I went for my interview to ottawa as well in 2014 for first time and it was approved within 4 business days (I did not receive any slip though). I am planning to go re stamping again

@pranav87 and @megha9488 ...this has nothing to do with EVC model or FT empolyee.

If you have done your masters in US and went for Ottawa for stamping 98% you will be subjected to this additional processing...which is taking around 15 business days.

This is something called TAL check which i mentioned in my previous posts.

Dont worry you will get it ...its a matter of time.

FOr those who havent come to Ottawa for stamping and planning to go there...... please DONT.

• 2 weeks later...

@ram44

Thank you so much for the vote of confidence! I'm really counting on the days, as of today its close to 10 business days.I sent an email to the consulate earlier this week, and below is the response they gave. Again I got a 221G with a blue slip -  second stamping attempt for H1B and this is my first attempt in Canada.

"Your case is still pending. Unfortunately we are unable to estimate a date when this will clear. We will contact you as soon as we are authorized to issue your visa."

@megha9488....1. did you do a Masters in US and 2. Did the officer ask for your resume 

if your answer is yes to both these questions then your case went for a Mantis check which usually takes 14 business days.

Once that check is done then they will send you a email once your case is cleared and ready to be issued.

Archived