221g Blue Slip - H1B - Ottawa

2016emc2

Hi, 

I had an interview for my H1B renewal on 13th Jan.

The VO asked for my Resume and gave me a 221g blue slip and was informed that Administrative Processing is needed and will get back once finished. 

Is/was anyone in a similar situation and guide on the time-line, please?

Thanks!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi There,

Sorry to hear about the interview, my friend had a similar issue, was given a Yellow Slip. The questions asked were general. It should take 2-4 weeks for them to finish the processing. It has been 2 weeks since my friend had the interview and this is the 3rd week.

Can you share the questions that were asked in your interview?

Thanks

Hello 2016emc2,

I had my F1 visa stamping interview in Ottawa on January 14. I had the similar experience.

VO asked me few questions, I answered them & then she asked for my CV, I gave it to her. Then she gave me 221 g Blue form and told that "Administrative process" is required in my case. It has been a week over and I have not heard anything from them yet.

Consulate sent the email, saying one should contact only after 60 business days from interview or submitting documents.

My 221 g blue form do not ask for any more info. does your asks for any more info.

Sam.

Thanks for your responses, kyrawn, jairichi,

@ Kyrawn: Well, questions were pretty standard - about work and education - however, I mentioned about my MS degree - (Mechanical engineering) and that's when the VO asked me for CV/resume and I gave it - in return I got my passport back with the blue 221g. 

Was your friend returned the passport as well?

This is the 2nd time I am here for H1B stamping - first time, everything was straight forward and nothing changed since then except that my company got acquired - which I explained and there weren't any problems, I thought - but when I was talking about my MS, that's when I was given my passport back with 221g blue slip.

It's not a good situation to be in and I was reading on this forum of similar recent (Nov-Dec 2015) incidents and it takes about 3-4 weeks. 

Let me know if you hear anything on your friend's case.

Thanks!

Hi Sam,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I think, both our cases are similar - No, there was no mention of any other documents. There was a check mark on the CV/Resume - which I already gave (hard copy) to the VO and asked if I need to provide any other thing - the answer was we have everything we need and will ask if anything else is required. 

I never received any email from the consulate about anything - could you elaborate on that?

Thanks

Hello 2016emc2,

Consulate did not email me by themselves. I emailed them to speed up the process, but they said they cannot do so as number of applicant is very high. Email reiterated the same facts on blue slip, to wait till 60 b'days from interview/ document submission.

Where are you staying in Ottawa? Did you find any cheap place to stay?

Good Luck to you,

Sam.

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your reply. I am traveling on a work assignment abroad for a few days - however, I was reading on this site about economical stay - I think, it's a temple (not sure about the name) - you might also be able to get something on Craigslist, just a thought.

But keep us posted with any updates and I will do the same.

Thanks and good luck to you also.

Take care

Hello Friends,

I faced the same situation in 2009 and they gave me 221g white slip and requested a bunch of documents. I submitted the requested documents in 2 days but i got the response from them via email after 2 weeks stating that visa is approved and ready . So i guess it is just a matter of time...you guys will be okay

Hello guys,

I had  the same experience very recently towards the end of December in Ottawa.

Most likely if they have asked you about Masters and asked for C.V. in interview then they are doing a Mantis check.

Once the check was ordered, 

I got the email that its complete in exactly  14 BUSINESS DAYS . 

you can ask any further questions to me and may be i can help

Dear Ram44,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Could you please elaborate a little more on your case? Did it take 14 business days from your interview day? Couple of us got a blue slip - so does it make a difference which color you got? I was asked my resume and I gave it to the VO during my interview - and that's about it, as VO said no other docs are required.

Thanks

@2016emc2.....there are a lot of processings that are clubbed into the 221G administrative processing.

But if you did a Masters in US and were asked about projects in Masters degree during the interview  and then asked for a resume/C.V. during or after the interview.......then most likely your case went for a Mantis check.....

The 14 business days time for me started 2-3 business days after my interview....any questions let me know.

@2016emc2 - My friend has received a client verification finally after 3 weeks of wait time. The Client has responded today and hopefully there will be some updates next week. Will keep you posted, hang in there dude.

Thanks

Thanks for your note, jdsethi2575

Kyrawn, Sam - any updates?

Pretty much yes, Someone has to receive the verification email, it can be the Client, Employer or may be the Vendor or all three (rarely). Waiting is unfortunately the only thing we can do in this time.

Also there is a page we can check the status online, Here select the NONIMMIGRANT VISA (NIV), then the location of the consulate and then enter the Application ID:

https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx

Hope this helps and stay strong dude, the wait time will be over soon and you'll get the visa stamped.

Thanks

Great - thanks for the info.
And I assume there's no way of knowing where and which state we are until we hear back from them via email, correct?

@2016emc2 - No Update as of yesterday. The Client had sent their response last Friday and still haven't seen any update to the case.

Does any one know how long it takes to receive an update after the Client responded?

Also, My friend just sent out an email to the consulate asking for an update. Has anyone else sent out an email to the Consulate and How long did it take for you to receive a response?

Thanks

Archived