Anyone waiting for J1 waiver USCIS final approval

BOG

Hello everyone, I am in the process of getting a J1 waiver. It has been a very long wait but hopefully someone can share their recent experience.

As I said I have been waiting for this final answer for almost two months now, and I am getting worried. Please share your comments. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I am happy to report that today the USCIS has approved my J-1 waiver case based on no objection. The complete timeline is below for whoever is interested.

Country of citizenship: India; Country of last residence: Switzerland 

---

• 11/2014:  J-1 waiver advisory opinion sought from DOS
  • 12/2014:  Married USC spouse in 12/2014
  • 05/2015:  DOS notice 'subject to two year home country residency'
  • 05/2015:  No objection statement sought from home country
  • 09/2015:  No objection statement 1 sent to DOS from country of citizenship (India)
  • 10/2015:  No objection statement 2 sent to DOS from country of last residence (Switzerland)
  • 12/21/2015:  Contacted local senator and congressman's office for expedited DOS processing
  • 12/22/2015:  Congressman's office sent a letter to DOS to expedite processing (Senator's office did not respond)
  • 12/24/2015:  J-1 waiver DOS favorable recommendation softcopy forwarded by Congressman's office
  • 12/24/2015:  J-1 waiver online status updated to 'favorable recommendation'
  • 01/02/2016:  J-1 waiver favorable recommendation hardcopy from DOS dated 12/23
  • 01/07/2016:  J-1 waiver USCIS receipt received in the mail dated 01/04
  • 02/08/2016:  Called USCIS and placed a expedited processing request for J-1 waiver
  • 02/12/2016:  USCIS denied request for expedited process (*sigh*)
  • 02/16/2016:  USCIS email and text notification that J-1 waiver has been approved. 
  • Waiting for approval notice in the mail.

Thanks.

Timeline;

June 26, 2015:  USCIS received my paperwork (I612, etc.)

July 15, 2015 : DOS received  my paperwork (DS 2019, DS 3035 etc.)

November 2, 2015: Forms I-612 and I-613 received by DOS 

November 16, 2015 : Request for Sponsor views sent

Jan 21, 2016: Sponsor views received

February 19, 2016 : Favorable recommendation sent by DOS 

February 19, 2016 (same day) : USCIS approved waiver

Not much waiting in my case, going smoothly step by step but still waiting desperately. I am giving recent update on my case status:

31 Dec 2015: Submitted all NORI to Indian Consulate Atlanta and same day they gave me a copy of NOS and one copy sent to Indian Embassy Washington DC.

Jan 4, 2016: All docs sent to U.S. DoS 

Jan 19, 2016: All Docs received by U.S. DoS (except NOS by Indian embassy Washington DC

Jan 20, 2016 Received NOS and notice from Indian Embassy Washington DC saying that they have sent one copy to U.S. DoS

Feb 4, 2016: NOS received by U.S. DoS

Feb 25, 2016: DoS updated my status to Favorable Recommendation.

Now waiting for Fav reco letter and final waiver...I need the letter before 25 th of March since my Employer going to file Industrial H1B cap on April 1st.

Employer Lawyer said he need the final waiver letter to file H1B...

Does anyone has any idea whether I can file for H1B cap with the Fav reco letter which I am hoping to receive in next one or two weeks???

Thank you in advance

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks.

Timeline;

Hi Kalaka, 

Did you have also "we requested another non-USCIS advisory opinion for your Form I612" in your timeline, what is that and how long does it take to get it? I checked the Dos website and no updates there. Please answer me. Thank you

Hi Zarrina,

Yes, I did get the request for another non-USCIS advisory opinion. From my understanding, this means that USCIS has most likely established that there is hardship to your American citizen spouse, and have requested the DOS recommendation. You would generally get this message right before DOS receives I612-613. The non-USCIS advisory opinion is requested through the I-612/613. Mine was requested on November 2, 2015, and DOS did not get the sponsor view until mid January. I think from now on, you need to be checking the DOS website; there will be no action on your case until USCIS hears back from DOS.

I hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Zarrina,

Yes, I did get the request for another non-USCIS advisory opinion. From my understanding, this means that USCIS has most likely established that there is hardship to your American citizen spouse, and have requested the DOS recommendation. You would generally get this message right before DOS receives I612-613. The non-USCIS advisory opinion is requested through the I-612/613. Mine was requested on November 2, 2015, and DOS did not get the sponsor view until mid January. I think from now on, you need to be checking the DOS website; there will be no action on your case until USCIS hears back from DOS.

I hope this helps

kalaka, thank you. It is now March 26 and no updates on DoS on the receipt of i-612/613. USCIS requested the opinion on March 16. When did DoS receive your i-612/613 forms? 

Hi Zarrina,

I hope this helps

kalaka, in my previous message I meant when you got a message from USCIS that they forwarded your i-612/613 forms to DoS? Do you know how long does it take for DoS to post the receipt of i-612/613 forms? My visa expires at the end of May and I have a job starting on August. I don't know whether I have to start filing on H-1b visa?

Thanks.

Timeline;

What sponsor did you have? Your government, or US government, or others? Thank you for your time and sorry for asking you so many questions.

What sponsor did you have? Your government, or US government, or others? Thank you for your time and sorry for asking you so many questions.

It took DOS about a week to update their website. I am sure they will update your status sometime this week. I was sponsored by the US government (FULBRIGHT). I do not think you can file for the H1B just yet, but I believe that once the DOS sends a favorable recommendation, you can start the H1B process. Give the DOS about two to three months between now (and when they ask and receive your sponsor views) and  send a favorable recommendation

If my memory serves well, I saw on some threads that you can have your employer file the H1B through normal processing, and when you receive a favorable recommendation from the DOS, you can submit an expedite request. 

It took DOS about a week to update their website. I am sure they will update your status sometime this week. I was sponsored by the US government (FULBRIGHT). I do not think you can file for the H1B just yet, but I believe that once the DOS sends a favorable recommendation, you can start the H1B process. Give the DOS about two to three months between now (and when they ask and receive your sponsor views) and  send a favorable recommendation

If my memory serves well, I saw on some threads that you can have your employer file the H1B through normal processing, and when you receive a favorable recommendation from the DOS, you can submit an expedite request. 

kalakala, thank you. Do you think the DoS will request the sponsor view when I am subject to 212 based on the skill list and my sponsors are non-governmental organization and university? What basis did you have for hardship?

Thanks.

Timeline;

Can you please share your case number?

• 4 weeks later...

Not much waiting in my case, going smoothly step by step but still waiting desperately. I am giving recent update on my case status:

31 Dec 2015: Submitted all NORI to Indian Consulate Atlanta and same day they gave me a copy of NOS and one copy sent to Indian Embassy Washington DC.

Jan 4, 2016: All docs sent to U.S. DoS 

Jan 19, 2016: All Docs received by U.S. DoS (except NOS by Indian embassy Washington DC

Jan 20, 2016 Received NOS and notice from Indian Embassy Washington DC saying that they have sent one copy to U.S. DoS

Feb 4, 2016: NOS received by U.S. DoS

Feb 25, 2016: DoS updated my status to Favorable Recommendation.

Now waiting for Fav reco letter and final waiver...I need the letter before 25 th of March since my Employer going to file Industrial H1B cap on April 1st.

Employer Lawyer said he need the final waiver letter to file H1B...

Does anyone has any idea whether I can file for H1B cap with the Fav reco letter which I am hoping to receive in next one or two weeks???

Thank you in advance

Hi guys, My final J1 waiver approved and received. Here are the final timelines:

March 11, 2016 USCIS approved Waiver

March 17, 2016 Received the final waiver in mailbox.

Good news is:

My H1B cap 2017 picked up in the lottery on April 11th 2016.

Thanks,

Hi there,

I wanted to share my timeline with you regarding my J1 waiver application based on No-objection. It's been 7 months that I'm waiting and it's not done yet. 7 looong months.... 

-I sent all my documents to DOS on 10/08/2015

-I applied to my embassy (French embassy) for No objection letter on 10/23/2015

-Documents received by DOS on 10/29/2015

-No-objection letter sent by French embassy to DOS on 12/09/2015

-On 1/16/2016 still no sign of no-objection letter on DOS website, so I emailed DOS and they gave me a fax number so that the french embassy can resend the no-objection letter.

-No-objection statement received on 12/16/2015 magically appears on DOS website on 1/17/2016. So weird... either they've lost the letter or they forgot to update their website???

-Sponsor views requested on 03/08/2016. 

-Sponsor views (unacceptable) received on 4/05/2016.  I started to freak out and emailed my old sponsors. They said to me that they sent a favorable recommendation to DOS but sometimes the word "unacceptable" appears due to a glitch in DOS system!!!

-Favorable recommendation sent on 4/08/2016

So today (4/27/2016), I still haven't heard from USCIS. I didn't receive the receipt notice or favorable DOS recommendation.

It would be great if people in the same situation could share their 2016 timeline.

Thanks!

Archived