10 year multiple entry visitor visa, yet stay granted for only 2 months! help

rollingon

Hi,

My mother in law has a 10 years visitor visa. She has already visited USA once before for 6 months and left within the 6 months time frame. On this visit she was asked how long she intends to stay and though she mentioned 6 months the immigration officer clearly told her 2 months only.

We have booked her return flight considering she will stay for 6 months. We are both GC holders. What is the way out of this? All I want is to have her stay with us for the 6 months that she is eligible for. Iam NOT seeking an extension for her stay.

Also if we request that instead of current 2 months she be granted 6 months will that affect her in the future when she visits again.

Please provide inputs

Thanks

Hi,

My mother in law has a 10 years visitor visa. She has already visited USA once before for 6 months and left within the 6 months time frame. On this visit she was asked how long she intends to stay and though she mentioned 6 months the immigration officer clearly told her 2 months only.

We have booked her return flight considering she will stay for 6 months. We are both GC holders. What is the way out of this? All I want is to have her stay with us for the 6 months that she is eligible for. Iam NOT seeking an extension for her stay.

Also if we request that instead of current 2 months she be granted 6 months will that affect her in the future when she visits again.

Please provide inputs

Thanks

I can't think of any documentation anywhere starting that visitors are "entitled" to 6 months stay. I always believe that duration of stay is at the discretion of the CBP officer.

Just change her tickets to depart within the 2 months and your problem is solved.

Typically shorter durations are given if the visa holder shows a pattern of coming frequently to the US without a significant period outside the country . A visitor visa is for visits not for residence , it cannot be used to spend more time inside the USA compared to outside

Archived