Jump to content
All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

N-400 Submission for child under 18

Recommended Posts



I am submitting the N-400 application for citizenship, do I need submit the N-400 for under 18 also as separate application or is it covered with parent application ?

Share this post

Link to post

I think, you need to submit N600 not N400 for under 18 based on your naturalization certificate.

Please correct me.

Actually, neither one is required. The child can just get a US passport based on the parent's natz certificate. The passport is proof of US citizenship.

Share this post

Link to post

Thanks JoeF for response. I am in same situation and here is my question below, appreciate your guidance:

Both parents are eligible to apply for Citizenship(will proceed to submit N400).  Question is about application process for Citizenship for the kid who is 14yrs old right now, but was born in India and already have Permanent Residency(Green card) for more than 5 years.

I hear 2 paths:

1. Parents first get the Citizenship and no need to apply for kid. After Parent's get the Citizenship, then apply Passport for kid along with parents at Post Office before kid turn into 18yrs.

2. Along with parents's N-400, Kid also submit Citizen ship application by N-600.

Not sure which is right process, but looks like you are recommending (1).


Thanks in advance,




Share this post

Link to post

The N-600 is not needed, it is just a money grab. It isn't a citizenship application, anyway, it is just getting a certificate of citizenship. The child gets citizenship automatically when the parents get citizenship. And the N-600 can only be submitted after the parents' citizenship is approved. It can never be filed together with the N-400.

If there is some sentimental reason to have a certificate, sure, filing an N-600 is a possibility.

But as I said, it is not needed. They child automatically becomes a citizen when the parents become citizens. So, applying for a passport with the parent's citizenship certificate is all that is needed. The passport is proof of citizenship.

Share this post

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now