H1b : full-time employee + commission based part time job

RiniKumar

Hello,

First of all, forgive my ignorance as I try to learn more about my limitations and privileges while on H1B.

I'm a full time employee. I'm currently on H1B and in the process of getting my labor approved from my PERM. I want to know if I'm allowed to take up any commission based part-time jobs in addition to my existing full-time job. I tried to look it up online but could not find any to-the-point answer. Reaching out to the experts here for clear guidance. 

Apart from a regular full-time employment, what other employment model is an H1B worker eligible for?

Thanks! 

On H1, you can ONLY work for your employer. You can NOT work anywhere else, and certainly not on commission (that would be self-employment, which isn't allowed at all on H1.)

Technically, you can have another part-time job, IF the employer gets an H1 approved for that job.

However, note that most employment contracts don't allow sidejobs unless approved by the employer. One of the reasons is that an employer doesn't want the employee work for a competitor on the side.

Archived