All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Samarth

Grad Medical Training on J1 & 2 yr HRR

I joined medical residency on J1 visa but quit midway into the program and chose to return to my home country. Have few more months to complete the 2 Yr HRR. 

I got in touch with an immigration attorney who stated that I would still need to fulfill the 2 yr HRR even though I did not go on to complete the program. Not sure how this makes sense.

Recently I noticed on my passport visa stamp "Bearer not subject to 212(e). I did some research online and found conflicting answers - some say passport visa overrides DS2019 and some say candidates who receive GME are subject to 2 year HRR irrespective of what has been mentioned on my passport visa stamp. 

Hope knowledgeable members of the forum throw some light on this. Really appreciate your responses !

It does not matter whether you complete the program or not. Do complete 2 years HRR if you have few months left. You can also ask for advisory opinion from Department of State.

Another question:

During my J1 visa program, I took a 4 month break and went to my home country. Will these 4 months count towards the 2 year HRR ?

Another question:

During my J1 visa program, I took a 4 month break and went to my home country. Will these 4 months count towards the 2 year HRR ?

No, it does not count.

Thanks Jairichi for your answer. My 2nd question was posted before the moderator approved your answer and I could see it. Appreciate your response. 

If someone to come on J1 visa from India to do a residency, can he/she extend J1 to do a fellowship immediately after residency and meet 2 years HRR requirements after fellowship?