What happens if I get promoted

sureshv120

Hi,

I am working for a top 5 IT company in the world. Have 10 years of experience and am on H1b. Right now I am a technical lead. If I start my GC process now the labor would be filed for technical lead position. But what happens if I get promoted a couple of times and end up in a management role? Will my GC process need to be started again? Does the priority date remain?

I am asking this question because I am sure that in companies it is common to get promoted and grow. How does GC process get affected with that?

But what happens if I get promoted a couple of times and end up in a management role?

>>Nothing.Unless you are a manager in a MNC in India for 2 years (not sure) and then manager in the same MNC in US for some time (not sure about duration), then only your GC can be in EB1 (it takes a month or two to get GC in this way). Other than that, your GC will be in EB2 with your brothers and sisters (millions of them :-)) and wait time will be 10 years atleast.

Will my GC process need to be started again?

>> No AFAIK

Does the priority date remain?

>> Yes

Senior members like JoeF/Jairichi can confirm my answers.

• 2 weeks later...

If your job duties change by more than a certain percentage as a result of your promotions, you would need to re-file for a fresh GC based on your new job duties. So, going from a Technical (Individual contributor) role to people manager role will trigger a re-file in most cases because your approved 140 was not for that function. It is very well common in large companies to end up in this situation.In most cases you can port your PD without issues. I would suggest focussing on your career growth and ability to bring in more money over being worried about paper work. Attorneys and companies can worry about it and they are paid for doing that. 

my 2 cents from personal experience.

Archived