I140 approved, change jobs

Hi,

I got my I-140 approved in July 2010 and my new 3 year extension(after 6 years) started in Jan 2011. I am considering changing jobs now and the new company has told me that they would have to wait for 1 year before they can start my Green Card.

1. Will my H1-B with the new company be valid till Dec 2013 even though my I140 was approved through a different company ?

2. What would be the last date before which my new company needs to file for my GC ? I read somewhere that labor should be filed at least 1 year before H1-B expires

3. What if there is a hiring freeze and company decides against GC ? Will I be able to extend H1B past 2013 or am I ineligible to do it as GC is not applied? I know the last question is far fetched but I want to make sure my options are clear before making the move.

Appreciate the help.

Thanks

Raj

please consult a lawyer.

your H1 transfer will have the same validity with your recent H1 extension if that is 12/2013 (not clearly stated).

with an approved I-140, you are eligible to file H1 extension beyond 6 years even from a different employer.

Hi,

I got my I-140 approved in July 2010 and my new 3 year extension(after 6 years) started in Jan 2011. I am considering changing jobs now and the new company has told me that they would have to wait for 1 year before they can start my Green Card.

1. Will my H1-B with the new company be valid till Dec 2013 even though my I140 was approved through a different company ?

2. What would be the last date before which my new company needs to file for my GC ? I read somewhere that labor should be filed at least 1 year before H1-B expires

3. What if there is a hiring freeze and company decides against GC ? Will I be able to extend H1B past 2013 or am I ineligible to do it as GC is not applied? I know the last question is far fetched but I want to make sure my options are clear before making the move.

Appreciate the help.

Thanks

Raj

Archived