H1B Stamping - Previously stuck under 221(g)

sid_red

I am in my 7th year of H1B. I have already gone through the H1B stamping process two times. Both times, I was put through further administrative processing and given the 221(g) form. The first time, it took 5 weeks for the consulate to issue the visa. The second time, it took 7 weeks! Both the visas were issued at the Hyderabad, India consulate. 

There was no particular reason given by the visa office for putting me through the 221(g) process. The only reason I could deduce was that my job description triggered the keywords outlined in the Technology Alert List (TAL) and that employer's primary business was conducting research for the aerospace and defense sector. 

I have switched employers 4 months ago and my current employer is in the automotive sector. As far as I know, my current job description will not trigger any keywords outlined in TAL. 

Now, I am again looking to go for my H1B stamping again. As you can understand, I am apprehensive about getting flagged for 221(g) administrative processing again. Here are my questions:

- What's the likelihood that I will be again flagged for 221(g)? 

- As I changed my employer (from defense to automotive sector), will it have an impact on whether I will be put through the 221(g) process? 

- Will going to a different consulate (in India or Canada) make a difference? 

Would appreciate any help and feedback from anyone, especially those who have gone through a similar ordeal. Thanks a lot. 

Thank you so much for your responses jairichi & arunemm. I guess I'll have to take my chances. 

While I do plan to go to my hometown consulate (Hyderabad) and will make arrangements based on the worst case scenario, I am wondering if the processing delay will be any shorter for other embassies/consulates? 

As I mentioned before, it took 5 weeks the first time and 7 weeks the second time. Is this inordinate delay a function of the Hyd consulate being so busy when compared to others? 

Thank you so much for your responses jairichi & arunemm. I guess I'll have to take my chances. 

While I do plan to go to my hometown consulate (Hyderabad) and will make arrangements based on the worst case scenario, I am wondering if the processing delay will be any shorter for other embassies/consulates? 

As I mentioned before, it took 5 weeks the first time and 7 weeks the second time. Is this inordinate delay a function of the Hyd consulate being so busy when compared to others? 

221g processing time is standard in any US consulate.

Archived