NIW Physicians in training - job change

dreshan

Hi guys, I had actually posted this question on a different thread, but maybe this is a more appropriate place for this question:

I am a Physician in training, currently in the last year of clinical Fellowship. I am applying for EB1a/EB2-NIW based on my prior research experience. My lawyer thinks my chances at EB1A are good, but filing EB2-NIW as the back-up option. 

My question is very specific related job change. My worst case situation is if the Eb1a is rejected and I have to sail along on the NIW. My Fellowship ends on 9 months and I am in process of looking for jobs. I have a very good job offer at present; It is a very good private practice job which does not involve too much of research. The immigration attorney thinks this job may be an issue for NIW. Although the job will be in the field of specialty (Medicine), solely practicing clinical medicine may be a red flag for USCIS. The lawyer thinks the job must involve clinical research/publications/presentations and has advised me against taking up this offer.

I said that I plan to continue clinical research alongside; however it will not be listed as a mandatory requirement on my employer's letter. I have an option to take up multi-center clinical trails conducted by NIH or major Pharmaceutical companies. Will that be enough? Moreover, by the time I apply for EB1(a)/Eb2-NIW (thats hopefully by next week), I will still be employed in an academic hospital. 

Any Physicians out there currently processing NIW or have gone through this process? Please advise! This is killing me. There is no way that I am going to get an Academic job anywhere. I absolutely love the current job and have an offer letter in hand!! I will really appreciate your thoughts/guidance. Share your experiences.

Thanks for your reply. I am going to just that. 

I spoke with him again. What he said was that lately they have come across a couple of cases wherein the Physicians had issues at the time of I-485 because of this. Not something that used to happen in the past; just something new which USCIS is doing at present. 

I'm probably going ahead with the job offer; will have them specify on my contract that my optional job duties include clinical research and participation in continuing medical education. 

Archived