Jump to content
All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  

To Apply for J2 Visa

Recommended Posts

I am currently working in US with H1B Visa through a Consulting firm which is due to expire in 2 months. My spouse is in J1 Visa. Need your guidance/help in the below queries :


1. Can I apply for J2 (Dependant Visa) so that I can continue working once my H1B expires in two months from now ?


2. Do I need to Register my Marriage here in the US as part of the supporting documentation for applying J2 visa through my spouse who is holding J1 Visa & what is the process to do this ?


3. Other important Paperwork or Documents needed for applying J2 Visa in advance before my H1B expires ?


Waiting for your valuable information for the above queries. Thanks !!


Share this post

Link to post

1. You need to file a COS to J2 by filing form I539. To work on J2 you need to apply for EAD.

2. If you are married outside US you are not allowed to register your marriage in US. You need to get your marriage certificate from wherever you got married.

3. Documents of yours to show you maintained H1B status and your spouse's J1 documents along with a DS2019 for you. 

Share this post

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this