Citizenship Process while kids studying in india

atulpatel

Hello

I am confused about getting citizenship for me, my wife and my 11 years old daughter. We all got the Green card in January 2010 expiring in 2020(All were born in India). so we are eligible for applying citizenship. But we did not apply for citizenship yet.

1.Do both parents have to get citizenship to get citizenship for my 11 year daughter? or either parent?

2.If I apply citizenship for my spouse residing In USA and daughter wants to go India for study about 5 to 6 year( continuous stay), my daughter still resides in USA as of now but probably leaving next month to study in India, does my daughter get automatic citizenship while she resides in India when either parents gets citizenship?

3.If she gets citizenship, where should we apply for passport of USA and OCI card for India while studying in India.

I appreciate any comments.

Hi,

It was not clear if you  are residing in the US as well.

my responses

1. I believe you need to apply citizenship for your daughter as well. the automatic citizenship applies only if a kid is born when the parent(s) are already citizens

2. my response above. I don't think she can automatically get citizenship since you were not a citizen when she was born.

3. As far as I know you can apply for passport only if you are in the U.S ..but for OCI card you can apply in india as well 

my suggestion..if you are serious about getting citizenship you need to get it done when you meet the requirement . it takes 5-6 months to get citizenship assuming everything goes well with your application. add another 4 weeks to get the passport. OCI is a different story (I am told it takes 6 months or more)

The OP says he has a GC. That means that he has CO reside in the US, otherwise the GC would be invalid.

When the parents become citizens, minor children get citizenship as well. I don't think it matters if the child is temporarily abroad.

Archived