H1b visa stamping Merida - US visa system glitch

ad2010

Hi,

My appointment was on june 8, our visa was approved and the CO told us: "this will be shipped next week". 

Our status moved this way:

Ready (june 8) - > Administrative Processing (june 10 -> Ready (june 10) -> Administrative Processing (june 11)

My visa is a TN and my spouse and kids have a TD.

Just for the record...

I attended the interview on 9th June at Tijuana, Mexico and VO said visa approved and come next day to collect the passport. Due to the system issue the asked to come next day everyday. On Friday June 12th We requested to hand over the passport back and they gave back the passport and they asked us to come back to get stamped once the systems are back online. We crossed the border without any issue as  CBP  where aware of the issue also my old H1B stamping was valid. One of my friend who's  previous h1b was expired was also able to cross the border and back to US.

Kethanp

Can you please let us know if your friend had also applied for a visa during that time. Did he come back on the automatic visa revalidation.  My H1 has expired but I 94 is valid but obviously had the visa interview here so wasn't sure if I would be eligible for this. Did not want to take my passport out of line until I could figure it out. 

That probably means that we won't get our visas until the week after !! That's pretty insane..

My lawyer states that DOS emailed them that this is unlikely to be fixed before July . ( I am hoping that they just meant the backlog and its clearance) Guys please check updates with your lawyers. 

Kethanp

Can you please let us know if your friend had also applied for a visa during that time. Did he come back on the automatic visa revalidation.  My H1 has expired but I 94 is valid but obviously had the visa interview here so wasn't sure if I would be eligible for this. Did not want to take my passport out of line until I could figure it out. 

When we crossed the border he didnt buy the I94 Permit and went in general line.  Officer at the border was aware of the system glitch issue and he scanned the expired visa and allowed him to enter. 

Kethanp - few questions below, if you could answer that would clarify few things and will be helpful:

did your friend gave away the I-94 while leaving to mexico?

does your friend has got valid I-94 at least?

did they reissue I-94 while he re-entering from mexico to US?

When you cross the Tijuana Border, no one will scan your passport for exit.

He has a valid I797 which has I94.

He didnt buy the I94 permit while crossing the border.

Archived