H1b visa stamping Merida - US visa system glitch

ad2010

I attended the interview on 9th June at Tijuana, Mexico and VO said visa approved and come next day to collect the passport. Due to the system issue the asked to come next day everyday. On Friday June 12th We requested to hand over the passport back and they gave back the passport and they asked us to come back to get stamped once the systems are back online. We crossed the border without any issue as  CBP  where aware of the issue also my old H1B stamping was valid. One of my friend who's  previous h1b was expired was also able to cross the border and back to US.

Update from State Dept - they continue to work on the glitch but visa printing is still affected. From the site - http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/english/news/technological-systems-issue.html

• "The Bureau of Consular Affairs is currently experiencing technical problems with our visa systems.  These issues have resulted in delays in printing visas and may mean rescheduling some visa interviews.
  • This issue is not specific to any particular country or visa category. 
  • Overseas passports are now being processed.  Domestic passport services are functioning, and we were always able to issue emergency passports to U.S. citizens overseas with urgent travel needs.
  • The Consular Consolidated Database (CCD) problems we are experiencing are not the same challenges we overcame last summer.  We are working urgently around the clock to correct the problems and restore our system to full operational status as soon as possible."
  •  

I attended the interview on 9th June at Tijuana, Mexico and VO said visa approved and come next day to collect the passport. Due to the system issue the asked to come next day everyday. On Friday June 12th We requested to hand over the passport back and they gave back the passport and they asked us to come back to get stamped once the systems are back online. We crossed the border without any issue as  CBP  where aware of the issue also my old H1B stamping was valid. One of my friend who's  previous h1b was expired was also able to cross the border and back to US.

I have been evaluating the situation of using the Automatic Visa Re-validation. Since due to this glitch we are all in limbo over when the passports will actually get stamped.

Here is the scenario I am thinking about:

Get Passport Back from the Vancouver Consulate

My original I-94 is still attached as I did not get stamping before and used Automatic Revalidation to enter, The I-94 valid till 9/30/15.

Use it to go across the border by road, I am Canadian PR and have done this a number of time before.

Come back when the system is back online.

But the issue is i have now applied for a US visa and hence am not eligible for AVR. Not sure how your friend with expired H1 did it in Mexico.

Kethanhp. That's very interesting that they would let u in even if ur prior h 1 is expired. I think that's coz u were driving and not flying.

That's interesting. Unfortunately with other international work travel coming up, I don't have a choice to do that. Looks like I'm here for the long run.

Following is new update from USCIS

UPDATE: We continue to address technical problems with our visa systems. Public and private sector experts are working around the clock to correct the problem, but we do not expect the system will be online before next week. Some visa applicants will experience delays in receiving their visas. Others will be contacted directly to reschedule their appointments. If you have urgent humanitarian travel needs, you should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

Looks like it will not be fixed this week.

UPDATE: We continue to address technical problems with our visa systems. Public and private sector experts are working around the clock to correct the problem, but we do not expect the system will be online before next week. Some visa applicants will experience delays in receiving their visas. Others will be contacted directly to reschedule their appointments. If you have urgent humanitarian travel needs, you should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

For the full text of our latest update, please visit our website:

http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/english/news/technological-systems-issue.html

This is getting quite frustrating now..Looks like we're stuck here until well into next week...!!

Q: How long before you restore full system functionality?

• Overseas passports are being issued.  Public and private sectors experts are working around the clock to correct the problem, but we do not expect the system will be online before next week. 

Archived